AUSTIN, Texas — Kelsey Brown’s performance in the 800 meters highlighted day one for BYU at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field West Preliminary.
Brown won her heat in the 800 meters with a time of 2:06.42. She finished with the third-best time of the day to easily advance to the 800 meter semifinals on Friday. Brown is looking to improve upon her performance at the NCAA Indoor Championships where she earned second-team All-America honors.
Other Cougars to advance in their respective events were Candace Eddy Carlisle in the 1,500 meters and Natalie Stewart in the 400 meters. Eddy Carlisle finished third in her heat with a time of 4:22.84 and will compete again on Saturday for the chance to advance to the NCAA Championships.
Stewart also finished third in her heat with a time of 53.65. The women’s 400 meter semifinals will be held Friday. The top 12 in the semifinals in each event will advance to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore.
Several other Cougars competed Thursday but did not advance.
Visit USFTCCCA for complete results and to follow Friday's action.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27