AUSTIN, Texas — Day one of the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field West Preliminary was a success for BYU as Jared Ward and Tylor Thatcher punched their tickets to Eugene for the NCAA Championships and four others advanced to the semifinal round.
Ward took fourth in the 10,000 meters with a time of 30:01.87, while Thatcher wasn’t far behind with an eighth place finish and a time of 30:11.22. The top 12 advanced to Eugene, Ore., for the NCAA Championships on June 5-8. Ward will have a chance to repeat as an All-American after he finished fifth in 2012.
Marcus Dickson was the first Cougar to advance on Thursday as he took sixth in the first heat in the 1,500 meters with a time of 3:47.93. Dickson did not qualify automatically as he did not finish in the top five of his heat. After waiting for the next three heats to finish, Dickson learned he would advance as he was among the top four runners that did not earn an automatic spot in the semifinals. Dickson will next run on Saturday.
Cade Lindahl took third in his heat in the 400 meters to advance to Friday’s semifinal. Lindahl finished with a time of 46.60, just 0.07 ahead of Justin Allen of Baylor to earn the last automatic qualifying spot in his heat.
Two Cougars nabbed a spot in Friday's 800 meter semifinal in the 800 meters. Ryan Waite took third in the second heat with a time of 1:49.65 to move on to the semifinal. David Graham finished one spot behind in the same heat with a time of 1:49.66 and had to wait until the heats were done to learn his fate. Graham earned his spot in the semifinals by ranking among the six top finishers that did not qualify automatically.
The top 12 in the semifinals in each event will advance to the NCAA Championships in Eugene, Ore.
Visit USFTCCCA for complete results and to follow Friday's action.
Kyle Chilton is the director of media relations for BYU men's basketball. He can be reached at 801-422-4909, email@example.com or on Twitter @kylechilton.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football: 5 questions with an East...
- Corso and headgear and signs, oh, my: What...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 38
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Red and blue recruits: Utes reap... 17
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local... 14
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 13