Man charged with killing Ogden officer found dead in jail
Matthew Stewart 'knew who he was shooting at' in firing 31 rounds, prosecutor says
Gabriel Stewart described his brother Friday as a "healer" who "helped multiple people as much as he could." He described once having a gun pointed at him and said he froze.
"For my brother to have multiple guns pulled on him and to fight back illustrates the courage he showed in the military. He stood his ground and fought to protect his own life," he said.
Erna Stewart said she believes her brother-in-law felt he wouldn't get justice in his case, particularly after Wednesday's court hearing, and said he "went out on his own terms." She called him an "herbalist" who wasn't dealing drugs or harming anyone and said home invasion raids in such cases should end. "But because someone called in a tip a cop, all of this changed everybody’s' lives."
"Everybody has their own spin on the whole situation," she said. "Why can't we all just agree that it wasn't just Matthew that made mistakes that night? It was everybody. Everybody had their own little part to play in it and why not just own up to it?"
Francom's father, Jade Francom, said he is pleased that officers won’t have to relive frightening moments from that day at a trial, but said the news of Stewart's death hasn't taken away his family’s pain.
“It’s been really tough, you know. Our family lost our son and brother, and his wife lost her husband and his kids have lost their father,” he said. “The girls — there isn’t a day that goes by that they don’t tell either Grandma and Grandpa, or uncles or their mom how much they miss their daddy. And you know, that’s the rest of their life sentence that they got.”
Contributing: Andrew Adams, Mike Anderson
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 158
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 36
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- LDS statement could move Utah... 22
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20