LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of America's policy vote
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY— The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement responding to the Boy Scouts of America's vote on its membership policy.
"For the past 100 years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has enjoyed a strong relationship with Boy Scouts of America, based on our mutual interest in helping boys and young men understand and live their duty to God and develop upright moral behavior. As the Church moves forward in its association with the Boy Scouts of America, Church leaders will continue to seek the most effective ways to address the diverse needs of young people in the United States and throughout the world.
"The Church’s long-established policy for participation in activities is stated in the basic instructional handbook used by lay leaders of the Church: “young men who agree to abide by Church standards” are “welcomed warmly and encouraged to participate” (Handbook 2: Administering the Church , 8.17.3). This policy applies to Church-sponsored Scout units. Sexual orientation has not previously been—and is not now—a disqualifying factor for boys who want to join Latter-day Saint Scout troops. Willingness to abide by standards of behavior continues to be our compelling interest.
"These standards are outlined in the booklet For the Strength of Youth and include abstinence from sexual relationships. We remain firmly committed to upholding these standards and to protecting and strengthening boys and young men.
"The Church appreciates BSA’s reaffirmation of its commitment to “duty to God,” which includes service to others and moral behavior—central principles of our teaching to young men. As in the past, the Church will work with BSA to harmonize what Scouting has to offer with the varying needs of our young men. We trust that BSA will implement and administer the approved policy in an appropriate and effective manner."
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 104
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 36
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 34
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- New friends plan to work together to... 20
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17