Man accused of shooting at Duchesne deputies competent for trial
Duchesne County Jail
DUCHESNE — A Duchesne County man accused of shooting at a man driving past his property, and later at sheriff's deputies, has been found competent to stand trial.
Clyde Wayne Thomas is charged in 8th District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony.
Since his arrest almost four years ago, Thomas has undergone three competency exams. After reviewing the results of the third exam Thursday, Judge Lyle Anderson determined Thomas, 76, is now capable of understanding the charges against him and assisting in his own defense.
In November 2009, authorities were called to the Pinion Ridge area of Duchesne County by a man who had suffered a gash in his head after a bullet entered his vehicle and fragmented. The man told investigators he was in the area to check on a friend's property and was shot at twice as he passed Thomas' home.
Deputies said Thomas also fired a single shot in their direction as they were staging to approach his home following the initial shooting.
At the time of the incident, the area where Thomas lived had been targeted by burglars, according the the sheriff's office. Thomas appeared to be "paranoid" about having his property taken, investigators said.
Thomas is still being housed at the Utah State Hospital. He is scheduled to be arraigned June 13.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7