Man accused of shooting at Duchesne deputies competent for trial
Duchesne County Jail
DUCHESNE — A Duchesne County man accused of shooting at a man driving past his property, and later at sheriff's deputies, has been found competent to stand trial.
Clyde Wayne Thomas is charged in 8th District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony.
Since his arrest almost four years ago, Thomas has undergone three competency exams. After reviewing the results of the third exam Thursday, Judge Lyle Anderson determined Thomas, 76, is now capable of understanding the charges against him and assisting in his own defense.
In November 2009, authorities were called to the Pinion Ridge area of Duchesne County by a man who had suffered a gash in his head after a bullet entered his vehicle and fragmented. The man told investigators he was in the area to check on a friend's property and was shot at twice as he passed Thomas' home.
Deputies said Thomas also fired a single shot in their direction as they were staging to approach his home following the initial shooting.
At the time of the incident, the area where Thomas lived had been targeted by burglars, according the the sheriff's office. Thomas appeared to be "paranoid" about having his property taken, investigators said.
Thomas is still being housed at the Utah State Hospital. He is scheduled to be arraigned June 13.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 34
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9