Man accused of shooting at Duchesne deputies competent for trial
Duchesne County Jail
DUCHESNE — A Duchesne County man accused of shooting at a man driving past his property, and later at sheriff's deputies, has been found competent to stand trial.
Clyde Wayne Thomas is charged in 8th District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony.
Since his arrest almost four years ago, Thomas has undergone three competency exams. After reviewing the results of the third exam Thursday, Judge Lyle Anderson determined Thomas, 76, is now capable of understanding the charges against him and assisting in his own defense.
In November 2009, authorities were called to the Pinion Ridge area of Duchesne County by a man who had suffered a gash in his head after a bullet entered his vehicle and fragmented. The man told investigators he was in the area to check on a friend's property and was shot at twice as he passed Thomas' home.
Deputies said Thomas also fired a single shot in their direction as they were staging to approach his home following the initial shooting.
At the time of the incident, the area where Thomas lived had been targeted by burglars, according the the sheriff's office. Thomas appeared to be "paranoid" about having his property taken, investigators said.
Thomas is still being housed at the Utah State Hospital. He is scheduled to be arraigned June 13.
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17