Man accused of shooting at Duchesne deputies competent for trial
Duchesne County Jail
DUCHESNE — A Duchesne County man accused of shooting at a man driving past his property, and later at sheriff's deputies, has been found competent to stand trial.
Clyde Wayne Thomas is charged in 8th District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and discharge of a firearm, a third-degree felony.
Since his arrest almost four years ago, Thomas has undergone three competency exams. After reviewing the results of the third exam Thursday, Judge Lyle Anderson determined Thomas, 76, is now capable of understanding the charges against him and assisting in his own defense.
In November 2009, authorities were called to the Pinion Ridge area of Duchesne County by a man who had suffered a gash in his head after a bullet entered his vehicle and fragmented. The man told investigators he was in the area to check on a friend's property and was shot at twice as he passed Thomas' home.
Deputies said Thomas also fired a single shot in their direction as they were staging to approach his home following the initial shooting.
At the time of the incident, the area where Thomas lived had been targeted by burglars, according the the sheriff's office. Thomas appeared to be "paranoid" about having his property taken, investigators said.
Thomas is still being housed at the Utah State Hospital. He is scheduled to be arraigned June 13.
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- Logan man killed in Idaho car crash
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Race heating up as congressional Democrats...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 40
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- Scalia's death leaves major void in... 29
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11