LOGAN, Utah — Utah State track and field will be well represented at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships this weekend in Austin, Texas, with 10 men and seven women competing in various events. Competition will span from Thursday, May 23 to Saturday, May 25.
Field events will kick off the action each day at 11 a.m. MT, while the running events will begin later in the afternoon. A link to live results can be found on the Utah State athletic's website.
The Aggies are coming off the Western Athletic Conference Championships where the men finished in second place and the women finished seventh. USU had 16 first-team all-WAC honorees, as well as 14 athletes who earned second-team honors. Distance runner Tylee Newman was named the WAC’s Outdoor Freshman of the Year.
The Aggie women have several high jumpers competing in the first round including sophomore Rachel Orr who won the WAC title in the event with a career-best jump of 1.76m (5-09.25). Fellow sophomores Jodi Williams, Mariah Thompson and Chari Hawkins will join senior Bri Campbell in the high jump competition.
Junior Keeley Eldredge will compete in the hammer throw while Newman will run the 1500m race, rounding out the women’s participants.
The Aggie men will be represented by three throwers and seven runners. Sophomore Michael Cardinal will compete in the shot put with freshman Kevin Allen in the discus. Junior Bryce Hall will participate in the hammer throw and discus after finishing second and third, respectively, at the WAC Championships.
The men will also have a 4x100 relay team in the meet, comprised of senior Will Henry, junior Jacob Bautista Jr., sophomore Nic Bowens and freshman Cole Lambourne. Additionally, Bowens and Henry will compete in the 100m and 200m sprints, while Lambourne will run the 400m.
Freshman Briton Page and senior Tyler Killpack will represent the distance runners in the 800m race, which Killpack won at the WAC Championships. Junior Kyle McKenna will round out the Aggie competitors by running the 10k.
The finals for the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be held June 5-8 at Hayward Field on the campus of the University of Oregon in Eugene, Ore.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36