Boy Scouts of America to make membership decision today, live updates
Eric Gay, Associated Press
More than 1,400 Scout leaders have gathered in Grapevine, Texas, today to finalize the Boy Scouts of America decision regarding its ban on the participation of openly gay youth members.
Scouting officials have proposed the allowance of openly gay Scouts but have refrained from allowing gay adult Scout leaders into the organization.
With approval, the new oath will still require youth members to do the following:
Subscribe to and abide by the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
Subscribe to and abide by the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty of God).
Demonstrate behavior that exemplifies the highest level of good conduct and respect for others and is consistent at all times with the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
The last statement then proposes, "No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone."
After months of debate, the final vote will be cast today with the decision to be announced at 4 p.m.
Highland, Utah, resident Ken Krogue is at the event in Texas and will be contributing to DeseretNews.com with live Twitter updates throughout the day. Krogue is a member of the Utah National Parks Council of the Boy Scouts of America and one of the members who participated in the voting. Krogue is the president and co-founder of InsideSales.com, and a Deseret Connect and Forbes.com contributor.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Mom calls out Toys R Us for selling fake...
- Playing favorites can increase the chance a...
- The Clean Cut: High school team helps...
- It's 2014: Are all our schools proficient yet?
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 7
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- Bound together: marriage rates and the... 5
- It's 2014: Are all our schools... 5
- Can too many dating options be a... 5
- Watch: Wheatley conference on family 5
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 5