Boy Scouts of America to make membership decision today, live updates
Eric Gay, Associated Press
More than 1,400 Scout leaders have gathered in Grapevine, Texas, today to finalize the Boy Scouts of America decision regarding its ban on the participation of openly gay youth members.
Scouting officials have proposed the allowance of openly gay Scouts but have refrained from allowing gay adult Scout leaders into the organization.
With approval, the new oath will still require youth members to do the following:
Subscribe to and abide by the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
Subscribe to and abide by the precepts of the Declaration of Religious Principle (duty of God).
Demonstrate behavior that exemplifies the highest level of good conduct and respect for others and is consistent at all times with the values expressed in the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
The last statement then proposes, "No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone."
After months of debate, the final vote will be cast today with the decision to be announced at 4 p.m.
Highland, Utah, resident Ken Krogue is at the event in Texas and will be contributing to DeseretNews.com with live Twitter updates throughout the day. Krogue is a member of the Utah National Parks Council of the Boy Scouts of America and one of the members who participated in the voting. Krogue is the president and co-founder of InsideSales.com, and a Deseret Connect and Forbes.com contributor.
- 5 rules for a happy marriage
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- The Clean Cut: 'Harry Potter' and 'Twilight'...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- The Clean Cut: Put down your phone, pick up...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling to...
- How Harrison Ford’s broken leg could...
- 'Wicked' returns to Salt Lake City for 2...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 60
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: A 12-year-old... 13
- Parents of eight children both have... 9
- Erin Stewart: Stumbling blocks to adoption 9
- Family struggling with loss of mother,... 6
- Why your doctor wants you to read aloud... 5
- One mother's plea: 'Am I enough?' 2
- What living at home with mom and dad... 2