The United States and other developed countries are facing a new epidemic: suicide.
Tony Dokoupil of The Daily Beast cites a Center for Disease Control study that says suicides in the United States have increased every year since 1999. In developed countries, it is perhaps the only cause of death that will have a rate that continues to rise.
But why is this happening? And what can we do to to stop it?
According to the CDC, there has been close to a 20 percent overall jump in the national suicide rate in the last decade, and the United States is on track to have more than 40,000 suicides this year alone, which would be the highest annual total on record.
Dokoupil writes that in developed countries, suicide is the leading cause of death for people aged 15 to 49, and that the group with the highest suicide rate is middle-aged adults. This is especially concerning because the ages of the members of the group suggest they have kids and families to take care of. In the last decade, the suicide rate has decreased slightly among teenagers and those in their early 20s, but there's been a 30 percent increase for those age 45 to 64.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on May 23, 2013, failed to properly follow our editorial policies. The story was shortened on Oct. 8, 2013 to fall within our editorial guidelines for aggregation.
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- A simple way to know that you're with the...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Does an American child really go missing...
- The one joke we make about love may actually...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 3
- 1 out of 7 Americans has this kind of... 2
- The one joke we make about love may... 2
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood... 1