“I’m really excited about going there,” Walker said smiling. “I have so many things to improve on, but speed is the No. 1 priority,” she added. “My technique and things as far as hurdling are pretty good right now — except for my front leg a little bit, so I am really excited to just work on my speed.”
If Walker is to challenge the state record — held by friend and fellow competitor Brenna Porter of Skyview High School — she will need to shave a second and a half off her personal best. The record in the 300-meter hurdle is 41.54 and Walker’s personal best is 42.97.
Walker’s time is good enough to be the fastest recorded in 3A history, but not enough for the entire state.
“I would love to win the gold medals again next year, but if I don’t get the state record I will be disappointed," said the hurdler, who is currently ranked in the top 40 nationally according to Max Preps. “It’s really just one of the things that drives me everyday.”
High school junior athletes are not allowed to formally talk with college coaches until after July 1, but the Wasatch star knows she will be sought after to compete at the college level.
“That’s definitely the goal after Wasatch,” Walker said. “I would love to go to BYU. That would be awesome to be asked by them. But I’m interested in going to the best place for track — no matter where that is,” Walker added.
“After running in Arcadia (California) this past April, I got so much good feedback and advice, I can’t help but wonder how far I could go in a place like that.”
First things first, however, for the two-time state champion. A solid cross-country season for her Wasps followed by a state record in the 300-meter hurdles awaits her challenge.
Kenny Bristow is the staff sports writer for the Wasatch Wave and contributes to the Deseret News high school coverage for the Wasatch region. Email: email@example.com. To contribute to DNews Preps for your area, enquire at 801.237.2143.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- J.J. O'Brien's basketball career comes full...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27