“I’m really excited about going there,” Walker said smiling. “I have so many things to improve on, but speed is the No. 1 priority,” she added. “My technique and things as far as hurdling are pretty good right now — except for my front leg a little bit, so I am really excited to just work on my speed.”
If Walker is to challenge the state record — held by friend and fellow competitor Brenna Porter of Skyview High School — she will need to shave a second and a half off her personal best. The record in the 300-meter hurdle is 41.54 and Walker’s personal best is 42.97.
Walker’s time is good enough to be the fastest recorded in 3A history, but not enough for the entire state.
“I would love to win the gold medals again next year, but if I don’t get the state record I will be disappointed," said the hurdler, who is currently ranked in the top 40 nationally according to Max Preps. “It’s really just one of the things that drives me everyday.”
High school junior athletes are not allowed to formally talk with college coaches until after July 1, but the Wasatch star knows she will be sought after to compete at the college level.
“That’s definitely the goal after Wasatch,” Walker said. “I would love to go to BYU. That would be awesome to be asked by them. But I’m interested in going to the best place for track — no matter where that is,” Walker added.
“After running in Arcadia (California) this past April, I got so much good feedback and advice, I can’t help but wonder how far I could go in a place like that.”
First things first, however, for the two-time state champion. A solid cross-country season for her Wasps followed by a state record in the 300-meter hurdles awaits her challenge.
Kenny Bristow is the staff sports writer for the Wasatch Wave and contributes to the Deseret News high school coverage for the Wasatch region. Email: email@example.com. To contribute to DNews Preps for your area, enquire at 801.237.2143.
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 63
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28