Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions Michael Smith was asked on ESPN?
Charlie Neibergall, AP
Michael Smith, a University of Utah graduate and resident of Salt Lake City, was crowned ESPN's "The Schwab" champion Wednesday night.
A passionate sports fan, Smith answered questions about the NHL, the NBA, the NFL, college sports, sports pop culture and sports social media. However, the line of inquiry that won Smith the contest, particularly in the later rounds, was centered around hockey, Smith's favorite sport.
Smith's victory got the Deseret News sports staff thinking: How knowledgeable are our readers in general sports trivia? Can Deseret News readers also "stump the Schwab" like Smith did? Deseret News Sports invites you to try to outdo him.
Of these questions, the first five were asked in a pool format. Contestants were asked a question with multiple correct answers and were eliminated as they failed to answer correctly. Smith correctly gave at least two answers to every question.
Once getting through the first round, contestants were given questions with only one correct answer. Smith correctly answered three of the five.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 103
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 18