Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions Michael Smith was asked on ESPN?
Charlie Neibergall, AP
Michael Smith, a University of Utah graduate and resident of Salt Lake City, was crowned ESPN's "The Schwab" champion Wednesday night.
A passionate sports fan, Smith answered questions about the NHL, the NBA, the NFL, college sports, sports pop culture and sports social media. However, the line of inquiry that won Smith the contest, particularly in the later rounds, was centered around hockey, Smith's favorite sport.
Smith's victory got the Deseret News sports staff thinking: How knowledgeable are our readers in general sports trivia? Can Deseret News readers also "stump the Schwab" like Smith did? Deseret News Sports invites you to try to outdo him.
Of these questions, the first five were asked in a pool format. Contestants were asked a question with multiple correct answers and were eliminated as they failed to answer correctly. Smith correctly gave at least two answers to every question.
Once getting through the first round, contestants were given questions with only one correct answer. Smith correctly answered three of the five.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 51
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6