SYRACUSE — Shirley Moss said God was on her side Wednesday when two construction workers pulled her from her burning home.
Just before 3 p.m., Moss was resting on her couch when she said she heard an explosion.
"It sounded like somebody hit my house or hit my car," she said.
Moss said she looked outside but didn't see anything other than construction workers, and she laid back down. A few moments later, she was disturbed again.
"I had the contractors come in my front door and come in my garage telling me I had to get out (because) my house was on fire," she said.
Moss said she didn't close her garage door or lock her front door that afternoon, something she normally does.
"I don't know why, but I didn't," she said. "God had to have been on my side, watching out for me."
The construction workers were able to help Moss move her cars, but that's all she managed to save.
"I just sat here watching (my house burn)," she said. "I wanted to go back in and get my grandson's birthday present, but they wouldn't let me."
Beau Montgomery was one of the construction workers who helped get Moss out of her home. He said they smelled smoke and went to get her out of the home as soon as they could.
"She had no idea her house was on fire," Montgomery said. "She didn't want to leave."
Syracuse Deputy Fire Chief Jo Hamblin said the cause of the fire is still under investigation, but officials believe it started on the northwest side of the home in the attic.
Hamblin said the main floor and attic are a complete loss, and the basement has smoke and water damage.
Crews were able to enter the house initially but had to leave because of instability. The roof collapsed about 15 minutes after crews arrived, Hamblin said.
The Layton, Clinton and Sunset fire departments and the North Davis Fire District assisted in putting out the fire.
Contributing: Mike Anderson
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15