What one meteorologist is calling the "biggest, most destructive tornado in the history of the world" touched down Monday in Moore, Okla., demolishing homes and two schools and killing at least 24.
President Obama has pledged federal aid to the Oklahoma City suburb, and Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., has said any aid must be offset by budget cuts. Meanwhile, national, international and local organizations have assembled in the region to search, help and rebuild.
Here are some ways those in other areas can help.
U.S. News has a list of 16 organizations that are providing aid, including OK Strong Disaster Relief Fund, Donors Choose (to help teachers and classrooms affected), Direct Relief and many others. The Huffington Post lists 12, including Samaritan's Purse, Team Rubicon (to provide home repair) and Save the Children, which provides kits to displaced children.
KFOR has a list of places offering temporary housing to tornado victims.
Donations can also be made by mobile device. To donate $10 to the Salvation Army, text "storm" to 80888. To donate $10 to the Red Cross, text "redcross" to 90999.
As always, before donating, look for signs of scams and look over the Federal Trade Commission's charity checklist to avoid unwise donations.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org, TWITTER: @katebennion
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- Child sex trafficking bust reveals worries...
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should offer...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Democrats have million-dollar day on impeachment
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 44
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 44
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 25
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 18
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 15
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule;... 12