Balancing act: Pause, reflect and avoid 'worship of busyness'
"One evening way past 5:00 I was riding down the elevator with our CFO and his secretary," Mark wrote. "He asked me about my plans for that evening, and I replied about the myriad of home improvement projects on my list. Then he proceeded through his long list of meetings and appointments that would go well into the night.
"After a brief moment of silence his secretary, who didn’t seem to be interested in playing the busy card, replied, 'I’m going to drink a glass of wine and watch TV.' Nobody spoke after that."
While drinking a glass of wine and watching TV may not be everyone's idea of a good way to spend time, clearly the secretary in this story knew how to "press pause" and to feel more joy by doing less.
Another reader, commenting online, made a similar point.
"I have noticed there is a definite negative connotation with NOT being busy," this reader wrote. "If you aren't busy and trying to achieve 600 things at a time, then you must be lazy. I think we often times make ourselves busy with things we don't really need to do. You would think with all of the conveniences of modern living we would have more free time than ever, and in reality I think we do have more discretionary time than ever, we just choose to fill it up with even more stuff.
"I personally try to keep my life pretty simple, with varying levels of success. I hate being super-busy, not because I am lazy, but because it makes life fly by way too fast."
As I mark another birthday, I'm highly cognizant of the speed at which time is flying for me. My gift to myself today is going to include not talking about being busy, but instead focusing on feeling joy in what I'm doing and in the simple pleasures of my truly blessed life.
I hope you'll all celebrate with me by doing the same.
- 15 jobs that are safe from the robot takeover
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- 10 jobs you can get right now
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Summit County sees credit card breach after...
- 6 financial moves to prevent sleepless nights
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid covering the...
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- 10 things to know about corporate... 27
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13
- California push to avert higher gas... 10
- Mimicking the airlines, hotels get... 9
- Burger King in talks to buy Tim Hortons 8
- It's about time the government... 8
- Cantwell targets small business loan... 3
- Dave Ramsey says: Government unlikely... 3