"One evening way past 5:00 I was riding down the elevator with our CFO and his secretary," Mark wrote. "He asked me about my plans for that evening, and I replied about the myriad of home improvement projects on my list. Then he proceeded through his long list of meetings and appointments that would go well into the night.
"After a brief moment of silence his secretary, who didn’t seem to be interested in playing the busy card, replied, 'I’m going to drink a glass of wine and watch TV.' Nobody spoke after that."
While drinking a glass of wine and watching TV may not be everyone's idea of a good way to spend time, clearly the secretary in this story knew how to "press pause" and to feel more joy by doing less.
Another reader, commenting online, made a similar point.
"I have noticed there is a definite negative connotation with NOT being busy," this reader wrote. "If you aren't busy and trying to achieve 600 things at a time, then you must be lazy. I think we often times make ourselves busy with things we don't really need to do. You would think with all of the conveniences of modern living we would have more free time than ever, and in reality I think we do have more discretionary time than ever, we just choose to fill it up with even more stuff.
"I personally try to keep my life pretty simple, with varying levels of success. I hate being super-busy, not because I am lazy, but because it makes life fly by way too fast."
As I mark another birthday, I'm highly cognizant of the speed at which time is flying for me. My gift to myself today is going to include not talking about being busy, but instead focusing on feeling joy in what I'm doing and in the simple pleasures of my truly blessed life.
I hope you'll all celebrate with me by doing the same.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- 10 Great Gift Ideas for People Who Have...
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure grows on...
- 10 great gift ideas for people who have...
- Dave Ramsey says: Put a temporary stop to...
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- Balancing act: How connected is too connected...
- What do the new jobs numbers mean?
- Robots vs. minimum wage: As pressure... 75
- The American Dream is still alive for... 10
- Most US workers unprepared to meet... 8
- Insurance agents feeling left out of... 8
- Are extended warranties on gadgets... 7
- What do the new jobs numbers mean? 6
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 5
- Food-tech startups aim to replace eggs... 3