Balancing act: Pause, reflect and avoid 'worship of busyness'
"One evening way past 5:00 I was riding down the elevator with our CFO and his secretary," Mark wrote. "He asked me about my plans for that evening, and I replied about the myriad of home improvement projects on my list. Then he proceeded through his long list of meetings and appointments that would go well into the night.
"After a brief moment of silence his secretary, who didn’t seem to be interested in playing the busy card, replied, 'I’m going to drink a glass of wine and watch TV.' Nobody spoke after that."
While drinking a glass of wine and watching TV may not be everyone's idea of a good way to spend time, clearly the secretary in this story knew how to "press pause" and to feel more joy by doing less.
Another reader, commenting online, made a similar point.
"I have noticed there is a definite negative connotation with NOT being busy," this reader wrote. "If you aren't busy and trying to achieve 600 things at a time, then you must be lazy. I think we often times make ourselves busy with things we don't really need to do. You would think with all of the conveniences of modern living we would have more free time than ever, and in reality I think we do have more discretionary time than ever, we just choose to fill it up with even more stuff.
"I personally try to keep my life pretty simple, with varying levels of success. I hate being super-busy, not because I am lazy, but because it makes life fly by way too fast."
As I mark another birthday, I'm highly cognizant of the speed at which time is flying for me. My gift to myself today is going to include not talking about being busy, but instead focusing on feeling joy in what I'm doing and in the simple pleasures of my truly blessed life.
I hope you'll all celebrate with me by doing the same.
- How the 'world's best counterfeiter' got away...
- Top 10 money mistakes new parents make
- Wal-Mart vs. Target: Wal-Mart ups ante on...
- Homes sales down in Salt Lake County for...
- Smaller down payments are the wrong solution...
- How 'Shark Tank' investor Daymond John...
- 4 reasons it pays to be thin and assertive,...
- 4 common winter house hazards and how to fix...
- The marriage between economic success... 4
- How one woman got rid of $20,000 in... 3
- Charity, it does a body good 3
- 5 questions to ask on the way to the ER 3
- Stocks mostly lower as oil sinks,... 2
- Smartphone data encryption causing... 2
- This billionaire is going to die broke... 2
- Consumers believe Utah economy is... 2