Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took Damian Lillard's picture
Ravell Call, Deseret News
PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Trail Blazers and former Weber State guard Damian Lillard’s bodyguards allegedly beat up two brothers who took a photograph of the 2013 NBA Rookie of the Year, according to a report by KGW in Portland.
The brothers said that Lillard “simply stood by” as his entourage punched and kicked them. Lillard is not a suspect in the attack, and police confirmed they are looking into the incident.
“What we do know for certain at this point is Damian Lillard is not a suspect in this incident at all,” Portland police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson told KGW. “Police did talk to him there. He remained at the scene. What we don’t know is if these people were actually associated with him or people standing in a group. We’re not really sure yet."
The fight allegedly occurred after Jermaine Uinwa snapped a photo of Lillard with his cellphone in Portland’s Old Town district at around 2:30 a.m. on May 18.
“I took a picture and Damian Lillard was upset that I took his picture,” Uinwa said in the report. “So when he turned around he’s like, ‘Did you just take my picture.’ ”
According to the report, Lillard’s bodyguards became enraged with Uinwa who offered to apologize for the picture before a brawl erupted. Uinwa’s brother, Phil, suffered injuries that required stitches on his lip and a broken nose.
“We are aware of the alleged incident,” a spokesman for the Trail Blazers told KGW. “Based on preliminary reports, none of our players is considered a suspect in this case.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @TPhibbsDNews
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 11
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7