Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took Damian Lillard's picture
Ravell Call, Deseret News
PORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Trail Blazers and former Weber State guard Damian Lillard’s bodyguards allegedly beat up two brothers who took a photograph of the 2013 NBA Rookie of the Year, according to a report by KGW in Portland.
The brothers said that Lillard “simply stood by” as his entourage punched and kicked them. Lillard is not a suspect in the attack, and police confirmed they are looking into the incident.
“What we do know for certain at this point is Damian Lillard is not a suspect in this incident at all,” Portland police spokesman Sgt. Pete Simpson told KGW. “Police did talk to him there. He remained at the scene. What we don’t know is if these people were actually associated with him or people standing in a group. We’re not really sure yet."
The fight allegedly occurred after Jermaine Uinwa snapped a photo of Lillard with his cellphone in Portland’s Old Town district at around 2:30 a.m. on May 18.
“I took a picture and Damian Lillard was upset that I took his picture,” Uinwa said in the report. “So when he turned around he’s like, ‘Did you just take my picture.’ ”
According to the report, Lillard’s bodyguards became enraged with Uinwa who offered to apologize for the picture before a brawl erupted. Uinwa’s brother, Phil, suffered injuries that required stitches on his lip and a broken nose.
“We are aware of the alleged incident,” a spokesman for the Trail Blazers told KGW. “Based on preliminary reports, none of our players is considered a suspect in this case.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @TPhibbsDNews
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 71
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 53
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 43
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21