Real Salt Lake: 'No comment' on XanGo mismanagement accusations
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SANDY — Real Salt Lake, the Major League Soccer team that bears the XanGo brand on the front of its jersies, declined to comment on pending litigation involving the juice brand's five founders.
"Real Salt Lake values its long-standing partnership with Xango," Trey Fitzgerald, Real Salt Lake Vice President of Broadcasting and Communications, said in an email to the Deseret News. "We have no comment on the referenced litigation."
Real Salt Lake became the first Major League Soccer team to sell jersey-front sponsorship in 2005 when XanGo and the Sandy-based club entered into a corporate sponsorship agreement. Shortly after, RSL and XanGo announced sponsorship of the XanGo Cup, a discontinued exhibition match series between RSL and several international clubs.
The inaugural XanGo Cup, a match between Real Salt Lake and international soccer powerhouse Real Madrid, took place in 2006 and coincided with the formal groundbreaking of Rio Tinto Stadium. In the years following, RSL hosted the English club Everton, Argentina's Boca Junior, and Mexico's Club America and Santos Laguna. The XanGo Cup series ended in 2009.
XanGo also sponsored RSL's former practice facility in Lehi. Known as XanGo Field, RSL players used the facility until the beginning of 2012 when the team began using America First Field, a practice field located at State Street and 10000 South in Sandy, less than a mile from Rio Tinto Stadium.
On the XanGo soccer website, RSL former owner and club founder Dave Checketts is quoted as saying, "For the players, you have to put a name there that you are comfortable with."
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 71
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Free agent roundup: Where local... 15