Utah Championship returns to Willow Creek Country Club in July
SANDY — The Web.com Tour’s Utah Championship will return to Willow Creek Country Club this July, but this time with a larger purse and more on the line.
“This is a really exciting stop for the Web.com Tour,” PGA Tour director of business affairs Jody Brothers said Monday. “I know the guys have been coming here for a number of years, and they’re excited to come back this year, particularly with the changes that have been made to the qualification to get to the PGA Tour.”
Web.com players will trek Willow Creek’s track July 11-14 with a $625,000 purse, up substantially from previous years. Also, because of changes in qualification procedures for the PGA Tour, the tournament is expected to host the deepest field ever.
“In the past, 25 spots were rewarded through your performance on the (Web.com) tour and the other 25 were rewarded through qualification school,” Brothers explained. “This year, our slogan for the Web.com Tour has completely changed. We’re no longer PGA Tour driven, we’re the path to the PGA Tour because all 50 playing positions for the 2013-14 season will come through the Web.com Tour.
“The first 25 cards will come at the culmination of this season at the Cox Classic in Omaha, Brothers continued."It’s really a sprint to get your PGA Tour card. Those who finish in the top 75 on the money list will then qualify for the finals. They will be competing for an additional 25 cards that will be matched with 75 players from the PGA Tour. Those who finish the FedEx point list from 126 to 200 will join the top 75 players on the Web.com Tour, and they will play for the additional 25 cards.”
Doug LaBelle II won the 2012 Utah Championship with a score of 15-under.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @TPhibbsDNews
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Both BYU and Cal have lots to...
- Utes vow not to look past Buffaloes
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25