Woman told she would never walk, talk defies the odds with faith (+video)
"I don't know where I would be if I didn't have the faith that I have," Baird said. "I've had many blessings in my life, and just growing up I've received many blessings after each of my surgeries. And you know what's said in those are obviously very personal, but I know that God has spoken to me through those blessings and has helped me think positive.
"If I didn't have an eternal perspective or see the big picture, then I don't know that I would have the same attitude that I have now."
Through everything she has endured, Baird said she has learned many lessons along the way.
"Anybody can do what they want, as long as they try it and believe in themselves," she said. "Asking for help isn't a weakness. I'm a very independent person, and there are just some times where you don't want to ask for help. I want to say I can reach the cup from the cabinet, or I can carry my plate from the stove to the table. But sometimes I can't, sometimes it's hard and it's OK to ask for help."
Because of the reactions Baird has received from those who have heard her story, she has decided to write a book and be open to public speaking. Several people with cerebral palsy have connected with Baird, expressing gratitude for her courage.
"I've been saving all the emails because it's a gift for me, this is a gift. I had no idea, maybe because I've lived the story, but I didn't realize that people actually needed to hear it," Baird said. "There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Just never give up on yourself, never doubt that."
Baird can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by through her website.
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- LDS stake presidency participates in ALS Ice...
- 'Frozen' star Santino Fontana discusses...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- Mormon teen, future U. gymnast earns silvers...
- Parenting advice that changed my life
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 77
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Obama administration announces new... 19
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role... 15
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 10
- Amish country bristles at... 9