Woman told she would never walk, talk defies the odds with faith (+video)
"I don't know where I would be if I didn't have the faith that I have," Baird said. "I've had many blessings in my life, and just growing up I've received many blessings after each of my surgeries. And you know what's said in those are obviously very personal, but I know that God has spoken to me through those blessings and has helped me think positive.
"If I didn't have an eternal perspective or see the big picture, then I don't know that I would have the same attitude that I have now."
Through everything she has endured, Baird said she has learned many lessons along the way.
"Anybody can do what they want, as long as they try it and believe in themselves," she said. "Asking for help isn't a weakness. I'm a very independent person, and there are just some times where you don't want to ask for help. I want to say I can reach the cup from the cabinet, or I can carry my plate from the stove to the table. But sometimes I can't, sometimes it's hard and it's OK to ask for help."
Because of the reactions Baird has received from those who have heard her story, she has decided to write a book and be open to public speaking. Several people with cerebral palsy have connected with Baird, expressing gratitude for her courage.
"I've been saving all the emails because it's a gift for me, this is a gift. I had no idea, maybe because I've lived the story, but I didn't realize that people actually needed to hear it," Baird said. "There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. Just never give up on yourself, never doubt that."
Baird can be contacted by email at email@example.com or by through her website.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- LDS missionaries share messages about...
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared LDS Scouts rescue couple off...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- 6 Mormon sisters share uplifting music with...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 65
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 8
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3