BYU football: Fan-developed software gives Cougars player management edge
"Coaches are now able to click on any page and immediately learn how any player is doing in every aspect from academic, social to how they stand on the depth chart and how ready they are to contribute on the field," Larson said. "It really helps with recruiting since every need is right there for them by position as well as overall scholarship counts for the coming year and subsequent years."
BYU has been using Larson's software since right before the 2012 season and has raved about its benefits since.
"They're happy and I'm just thankful to help out," Larson said. "I love what BYU stands for and what it represents. I feel the football program is doing great things, so to help out with that, in any way, is something I was more than willing to do."
The help Larson provided was far more than a weekend project or even a monthly project. All-in-all, Larson ballparked the time involved as being $40,000 to $50,000 worth of work.
"I'd easily spend at least 15 hours per week on it and I'm still working on it," he said. "It's functional, but it's not finished, and I'm continually working on ways to update it and make it better.
"At the end of the day, I just hope that what started out as a desire to volunteer and help out in a way that could support what BYU stands for might inspire someone else to do the same," Larson added. "I might suggest to others to search for a way to make meaningful contribution to a cause and do it, you never know what might happen."
Larson is now looking to market his product to programs other than BYU. With his brother-in-law, Jay Garlick, the two of them have formed what they've dubbed "athleteforecast."
"We've already shown it to some other college programs and we've received positive feedback," Garlick said. "What we're hoping to do from here is expand this to help out with all collegiate sports programs — not just football. From there we want to expand to high schools and even recruiting services. What we've done with BYU is the beginning of something we think could really benefit other sports programs."
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- Cougars looking for special season with...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU football: Ranking the most important...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: Receiver Nick Kurtz poised for...
- Dick Harmon: How much swagger BYU finds after...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 84
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 62
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 26
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 25