Two more guns seized at Salt Lake City International Airport
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two more guns were discovered at the Salt Lake City International Airport during the past week, including one over the weekend.
In each case, passengers apparently forgot they had a loaded firearm in their luggage and were arrested after it was discovered by Transportation Security Administration screeners.
The guns mark the 17th and 18th found at the Salt Lake City airport this year. Twenty guns were found by the TSA at the airport during all of 2012.
In the latest incidents, a 48-year-old American Fork woman flying to Chicago Midway Airport was arrested Saturday morning after a loaded Ruger LC9 with seven rounds of ammunition was found in her luggage, according to TSA officials.
That incident followed one Tuesday morning when a man ticketed to fly to Chicago O'Hare Airport was found carrying a loaded Kahr Pm9. Both were arrested for investigation of weapons violations at the airport, both class A misdemeanors.
Guns can be carried onto airplanes in checked luggage, if the gun is not loaded, if the passenger declares to the airline that they're carrying a firearm and if it's put in a hard-sided case that locks.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Man, 18, arrested in stabbing death of West...
- Utah Educational Savings Plan marks 20 years...
- Utah doctor convicted in wife's death appeals...
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Construction of new Farmington high school...
- New Youth Resource Center is a celebration of...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 104
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 9
- Salt Lake City Council allocates... 8