Two more guns seized at Salt Lake City International Airport
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two more guns were discovered at the Salt Lake City International Airport during the past week, including one over the weekend.
In each case, passengers apparently forgot they had a loaded firearm in their luggage and were arrested after it was discovered by Transportation Security Administration screeners.
The guns mark the 17th and 18th found at the Salt Lake City airport this year. Twenty guns were found by the TSA at the airport during all of 2012.
In the latest incidents, a 48-year-old American Fork woman flying to Chicago Midway Airport was arrested Saturday morning after a loaded Ruger LC9 with seven rounds of ammunition was found in her luggage, according to TSA officials.
That incident followed one Tuesday morning when a man ticketed to fly to Chicago O'Hare Airport was found carrying a loaded Kahr Pm9. Both were arrested for investigation of weapons violations at the airport, both class A misdemeanors.
Guns can be carried onto airplanes in checked luggage, if the gun is not loaded, if the passenger declares to the airline that they're carrying a firearm and if it's put in a hard-sided case that locks.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 41
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 15
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13