Two more guns seized at Salt Lake City International Airport
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two more guns were discovered at the Salt Lake City International Airport during the past week, including one over the weekend.
In each case, passengers apparently forgot they had a loaded firearm in their luggage and were arrested after it was discovered by Transportation Security Administration screeners.
The guns mark the 17th and 18th found at the Salt Lake City airport this year. Twenty guns were found by the TSA at the airport during all of 2012.
In the latest incidents, a 48-year-old American Fork woman flying to Chicago Midway Airport was arrested Saturday morning after a loaded Ruger LC9 with seven rounds of ammunition was found in her luggage, according to TSA officials.
That incident followed one Tuesday morning when a man ticketed to fly to Chicago O'Hare Airport was found carrying a loaded Kahr Pm9. Both were arrested for investigation of weapons violations at the airport, both class A misdemeanors.
Guns can be carried onto airplanes in checked luggage, if the gun is not loaded, if the passenger declares to the airline that they're carrying a firearm and if it's put in a hard-sided case that locks.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be named...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12