Two more guns seized at Salt Lake City International Airport
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two more guns were discovered at the Salt Lake City International Airport during the past week, including one over the weekend.
In each case, passengers apparently forgot they had a loaded firearm in their luggage and were arrested after it was discovered by Transportation Security Administration screeners.
The guns mark the 17th and 18th found at the Salt Lake City airport this year. Twenty guns were found by the TSA at the airport during all of 2012.
In the latest incidents, a 48-year-old American Fork woman flying to Chicago Midway Airport was arrested Saturday morning after a loaded Ruger LC9 with seven rounds of ammunition was found in her luggage, according to TSA officials.
That incident followed one Tuesday morning when a man ticketed to fly to Chicago O'Hare Airport was found carrying a loaded Kahr Pm9. Both were arrested for investigation of weapons violations at the airport, both class A misdemeanors.
Guns can be carried onto airplanes in checked luggage, if the gun is not loaded, if the passenger declares to the airline that they're carrying a firearm and if it's put in a hard-sided case that locks.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14