Lone Peak cruises to third straight state title in ultimate disc
SOUTH JORDAN — This year's Lone Peak ultimate disc team was practically brand-new.
After losing 10 seniors from the 2012 squad that won two state titles, the Knights had to pretty much start over.
"I was a little worried about how strong our team would be this year," Lone Peak head coach David Kroupa said. "It was so impressive to see how hard the players worked."
The work paid off for the Knights on Friday and Saturday as they rolled to a third state title — every year they've fielded at team. They won six matches at the state tournament held at Salt Lake County Equestrian Center by an average score of 15-1.8 — all this against a field that had six teams ranked in the top 80 nationally.
"This year's team became better than last year's team and did become the best Lone Peak team yet," Kroupa said.
In the championship game, No. 2 Lone Peak (33-1) played No. 10 Sky View (24-3). The Bobcats were undefeated, as well, crushing a very good Layton Break Force team 15-3 in the semifinals.
However, the Knights never let Sky View get in the game, racing out to a 11-0 lead on the leadership of team captains Hunter Wilson, Nate Olson, and Quinn Arnoldsen. Lone Peak won the game 15-1.
"Our players just came in with the goal to play as hard as they could during every single possession on every single point," Kroupa said. "They played an amazing game. We kept shifting our defensive schemes to try to keep Sky View out of their comfort zone. For some reason I think Sky View was a little off in this game — they certainly would have done better if we played again."
Break Force, a team made up of players from Layton, Northridge, Davis and NUAMES, defeated Pleasant Grove 15-6 in the third-place game. Lone Peak's B team knocked off Bingham 15-12 for fifth place and Skyline took seventh by beating Timpview 12-9.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16