High school baseball: Snow Canyon overcomes the odds, wins second-straight 3A championship
Lindsey highlighted the offensive explosion with a team-high five RBIs, which included a two-run home run in the top of the second.
“We just got rolling big-time in that game,” Lindsey said. “Momentum was going great and I was just able to add to a complete team effort from everyone. We got momentum early and it just carried us through.”
Indeed that momentum spilled over to provide four runs in the first three innings of the winner-take-all final game, giving Snow Canyon a commanding 4-0 lead.
“Nothing was going to stop us today,” Day said. “We fought too hard to get to that final game and just stop and quit. We play for everyone on this team and that’s what happened today and that’s why we’re state champions again.”
Day again contributed heavily from the plate in the rubber match, going 2-4 with an RBI. Junior Tyler Wardell led the team with three RBIs, but it was defense that led the way in securing the final 7-1 win.
"Clint Gates was absolutely enormous for us today,” Secrist said. “He ended that second game for us from the mound and we decided to just keep going with him and see how far he’d get in the final game. We had no idea he could go the complete game — it’s just another example of a guy who stepped up and played at his best when his team needed him most.”
Following his 8 1/3 innings pitched on the day Gates was ready for even more.
“I could go all day,” Gates said. “I feel absolutely amazing and there’s nothing that could stop us out there.”
“I couldn’t be more proud of this team and what they accomplished out there today and for the entire season,” Secrist added. “It’s an honor for me to have been able to coach such great kids with so much heart. It took everyone to win this thing today and we got everyone’s best effort and we needed KJ. We felt him throughout this season and we certainly felt him out there with us today.”
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 52
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 26