UVU golf: Mason Casper closes career tied for 20th at NCAA Regional
PULLMAN, Wash. — Utah Valley University senior golfer Mason Casper closed out his collegiate career Saturday by tying for 20th at the NCAA Golf Pullman Regional.
Casper entered the final round tied for eighth and in the hunt for a bid to the NCAA Championship later in the month, but he carded a 3-over par 75 to finish the three-day tournament at 3-under par.
"Golf is a funny game. Some days you have it and some days you don't," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "Today was one of those days for some reason he couldn't get his putter going."
Casper started on hole No. 10 and recorded bogeys on three of his first five holes before finishing at +3 on the opening nine. He recorded two more bogeys to drop to +5 on the round before recording his first birdie of the day on his 15th hole and another on his 17th hole.
For the year, Casper, the two-time America Sky Conference Player of the Year, finished with a win at the BSU Dash Thomas Memorial, a second-place finish at the COG Mizzou Intercollegiate and a tie for fifth at the ASC Championships.
"I'm so proud of all he has accomplished at UVU," Curran said of Casper, who had three career wins. "He pretty much rewrote the record book at UVU. He will be tough to replace."
Cal's Michael Weaver and USC's Sam Smith tied for top medalist honors at 14-under par, while Cal shot a course-record 43-under par at the par-72, 7,308-yard Palouse Ridge Golf Club to win the Pullman Regional.
The NCAA Championships will be held May 28-June 2 at The Capital City Club, Crabapple Course in Atlanta, Ga.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Both BYU and Cal have lots to...
- Utes vow not to look past Buffaloes
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25