High school football: Orem player responds well to being woken from coma, will undergo heart surgery
Ravell Call, Deseret News
PROVO — Orem High sophomore football player Ben Smith responded positively to being woken up from a medically induced coma Saturday afternoon, and he will next undergo surgery for an underlying heart condition that was discovered after he collapsed during conditioning practice last Thursday.
“They did bring him out of the medically induced coma this afternoon,” Alpine School District spokeswoman Rhonda Bromley said, “and were able to do some tests on him and are feeling very good about the results.”
Details about Smith's specific heart condition have not been released, but based on a conversation with Smith’s parents, Bromley believes the surgery has a high success rate.
“They made it seem that it was something that would happen Monday morning and be done Monday morning,” Bromley explained. “Then they’ll be able to pull the tubes out and he’ll be able to talk to them. Just by the way they were talking it seemed like it’s something they’re feeling very optimistic about.”
Doctors at the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center elected to keep Smith sedated until the surgery to effectively allow his body to recuperate from the stress sustained from the collapse Thursday and to avoid potentially complicating the condition further.
“What they’re wanting to do is keep his body nice and calm,” Bromley said. “Apparently when they brought him out he was reacting to their questions and they knew he was coherent and they did the tests. The words that they used to me is that they’ve sedated him again until the surgery. It doesn’t sound like they’ve had conversations with him.”
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 125
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 80
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 58
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33