Mia Love announces she's officially running against Matheson — again
Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
SANDY — Mia Love made it official Saturday at the GOP state convention — she’s once again challenging Utah’s only Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson, for his 4th District seat.
"You and I have some unfinished business with Rep. Jim Matheson," Love told the more than 2,500 delegates gathered for the organizing convention, recalling her narrow loss last November.
Earlier this year, Love filed her candidacy with the Federal Elections Commission and hired top GOP strategist Dave Hansen, who ran Sen. Orrin Hatch's successful 2012 re-election campaign.
Love, the mayor of Saratoga Springs, attracted national attention and support from high-ranking Republicans including House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, in her bid to become the first black Republican woman in Congress.
She told reporters she decided to make her second run for Congress official after talking with voters.
"I wanted to see if the momentum was there, if we could build upon what we had before," Love said. "People are getting behind us and are more determined than ever to win this seat."
Love said she doesn't know yet if she will face a challenge for the GOP nomination. "Hopefully not," she said. "But we'll see."
Matheson released a statement saying, "Now isn't the time for politicking. It's time to roll up our sleeves, work together and get things done."
He said he has "absolute confidence in my ability to win, as I did in the last election."
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Bus driver charged in death of 10-year-old...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Family of slain 18-year-old pleads for...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Litter left by target shooters in Hobble...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 52
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 46
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 40
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16