Rick Bowmer, Associated Press
SANDY — Mia Love made it official Saturday at the GOP state convention — she’s once again challenging Utah’s only Democrat in Congress, Rep. Jim Matheson, for his 4th District seat.
"You and I have some unfinished business with Rep. Jim Matheson," Love told the more than 2,500 delegates gathered for the organizing convention, recalling her narrow loss last November.
Earlier this year, Love filed her candidacy with the Federal Elections Commission and hired top GOP strategist Dave Hansen, who ran Sen. Orrin Hatch's successful 2012 re-election campaign.
Love, the mayor of Saratoga Springs, attracted national attention and support from high-ranking Republicans including House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, in her bid to become the first black Republican woman in Congress.
She told reporters she decided to make her second run for Congress official after talking with voters.
"I wanted to see if the momentum was there, if we could build upon what we had before," Love said. "People are getting behind us and are more determined than ever to win this seat."
Love said she doesn't know yet if she will face a challenge for the GOP nomination. "Hopefully not," she said. "But we'll see."
Matheson released a statement saying, "Now isn't the time for politicking. It's time to roll up our sleeves, work together and get things done."
He said he has "absolute confidence in my ability to win, as I did in the last election."
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Young adults are faced with risky decision to...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Young adults are faced with risky... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11