High school boys soccer: Bingham Miners too much for Layton in 5A quarterfinals
LAYTON — The Bingham Miners spoiled the home-field advantage of the Layton Lancers.
With a large crowd looking on, the Miners beat Layton 3-1 Friday afternoon in the 5A boys soccer quarterfinals.
The Miners, for their part, were happy to get past a difficult Layton squad.
“They played enthusiastic soccer and never gave up," Bingham coach Matt Kennaley said of the Lancers. "They were really dangerous, especially up front, and their backline is incredibly solid.”
Layton controlled the first half, playing the majority of the first 30 minutes in the Miners' defensive end. Layton opened the scoring as Jordan Steed’s shot slipped past the Miner goalkeeper and into the back of the net.
However, Bingham reset its defense to counter the outside speed of the Lancers — and it worked. Bingham evened the match when Easton Poulsen scored in the 30th minute. The first half finished tied 1-1.
The start of the second half saw the Miner squad playing fundamentally sound soccer. Bingham’s Hunter Stutz broke the tie early in the second half, and Andrew Pulsipher added an insurance goal for the Miners shortly after.
Bingham goalkeeper Mark Stanley was instrumental in keeping the game under control. “Mark is a shot stopper and can get down for a big man," said Kennaley. "He kept the box under control and did a great job.”
Bingham now moves on the semifinals next Tuesday.
Gary Czenkus is an Air Force veteran and graduate of the University of Nebraska. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give Juan...
- High school baseball: Titans ride timely...
- High school soccer: No shortage of parity as...
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins game...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give... 0
- High school baseball: Titans ride... 0
- High school soccer: No shortage of... 0
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins... 0