Holladay man charged with automobile homicide in death of Millcreek jogger
MILLCREEK — A Holladay man has been charged in the death of jogger who was hit by a van and killed earlier this year.
Ashton Lee Godfrey, 20, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with automobile homicide and driving with measurable controlled substance in the body and causing death, both second-degree felonies.
Godfrey also was charged with three felony counts of possession of a controlled substance, one felony count of possession of a firearm by a restricted person, three misdemeanor counts of possession of a deadly weapon by a restricted person, and one misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia.
Godfrey told police he was driving the van that struck and killed Larry Madison, 64, while the man was jogging on 1100 East near 3850 South just before 7 a.m. March 7, according to court documents.
Surveillance video showed Godfrey driving southbound on 1100 East when he drifted across northbound lanes and struck Madison, who was walking on the shoulder of the road, according to the charges.
Investigators discovered Godfrey's blood was positive for amphetamine and methamphetamine, charges state. They found pipes, methamphetamine, psilocybin mushrooms, marijuana, alcohol, a loaded firearm, three knives and drug distribution items in the van.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Friend says wrong-way driver 'wasn't in his...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12