Holladay man charged with automobile homicide in death of Millcreek jogger
MILLCREEK — A Holladay man has been charged in the death of jogger who was hit by a van and killed earlier this year.
Ashton Lee Godfrey, 20, was charged Friday in 3rd District Court with automobile homicide and driving with measurable controlled substance in the body and causing death, both second-degree felonies.
Godfrey also was charged with three felony counts of possession of a controlled substance, one felony count of possession of a firearm by a restricted person, three misdemeanor counts of possession of a deadly weapon by a restricted person, and one misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia.
Godfrey told police he was driving the van that struck and killed Larry Madison, 64, while the man was jogging on 1100 East near 3850 South just before 7 a.m. March 7, according to court documents.
Surveillance video showed Godfrey driving southbound on 1100 East when he drifted across northbound lanes and struck Madison, who was walking on the shoulder of the road, according to the charges.
Investigators discovered Godfrey's blood was positive for amphetamine and methamphetamine, charges state. They found pipes, methamphetamine, psilocybin mushrooms, marijuana, alcohol, a loaded firearm, three knives and drug distribution items in the van.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Family seeks change as poisoned tea...
- Utah County teen made bomb threat, other...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 33
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22