PULLMAN, Wash. — Mason Casper shot a 2-under par 70 on Friday at the second round of the NCAA Golf Pullman and moved up 10 spots heading into Saturday's final round.
Capser, who started on the back nine, recorded three birdies on the back, along with two bogeys, and two birdies on the first with one bogey to move up from 18th place to tie for eighth.
"Conditions were much tougher today. The wind was up and the pins were in some tricky spots," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "Even though he left some shots out there he is still in the thick of things."
The low five teams in each of the six regionals and the low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the finals, which will be held May 28-June 2, at The Capital City Club, Crabapple Course in Atlanta, Ga.
Currently, Casper has two players ahead of him that aren't attached to teams that could qualify.
"With a good round Saturday, he'll have a good shot to advance," Curran said. "He's playing at a very high level right now."
Casper tees off in the final group at 11:04 a.m. MT Saturday with Princeton's Greg Jarmas and St. Francis' Jeff Chasted.
The regional is being contested at the Par-72, 7,308 Palouse Ridge Golf Club. USC's Sam Smith recorded an 8-under par in the second round and leads the tournament at 18-under par, while Cal's Michael Weaver (12-under) and Joel Stalter (11-under) are in second and third, respectively.
Cal leads the tournament at 35-under par and USC is second at 24-under par.
Casper's round can be followed live at www.golfstat.com.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Real Salt Lake: RSL's quest to win MLS Cup...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce back to...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 60
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 50
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 28
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27