PROVO, Utah — All-American distance runner Jared Ward will lead 25 BYU student-athletes to the 2013 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field West Championships in Austin, Texas, from May 23-25.
Ward will compete in the 10,000-meter and the 5,000-meter runs, where he is ranked fourth and seventh, respectively.
The top 48 athletes in the region in each event qualify for the Preliminary Rounds. In the preliminaries, the top 12 athletes in each event move on to the NCAA Championships, held June 6-9 in Eugene, Ore.
The Cougars have five athletes ranked in the top 12 of their respective events heading into the meet: Ryan Waite in the 800-meter run, Steve Flint in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, Victor Weirichin the pole vault, Tylor Thatcher in the 10,000-meter run and Ward in the 10,000-meter and 5,000-meter runs.
A complete list of the BYU athletes accepted into the meet is below. The full list of participants at the West Preliminary Round can be found at NCAA.com.
Event and student-athlete
100m — Fan Fan Charles
400m — Cade Lindahl
400m Hurdles — Korey Smith
1500m — Marcus Dickson
Long Jump — John Glazier
Shot Put — Dennis Christensen
- Doug Robinson: Think Utah is BYU's 'big...
- Morning links: Taysom Hill at Virginia would...
- Report: West Virginia president in favor of...
- Kalani Sitake inherits experienced players,...
- The BYU international basketball tracker:...
- Pro-BYU crowd motivates Portland in Pilot...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU star Zac Blair finds...
- Brad Rock: Football 2016: What are we waiting...
- Doug Robinson: Think Utah is BYU's 'big... 82
- Morning links: BYU, Utah coaches... 52
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting Portland... 46
- Morning links: Taysom Hill at Virginia... 45
- Report: West Virginia president in... 34
- Brad Rock: Football 2016: What are we... 31
- Kalani Sitake inherits experienced... 30
- Pro-BYU crowd motivates Portland in... 23