PROVO, Utah — All-American distance runner Jared Ward will lead 25 BYU student-athletes to the 2013 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field West Championships in Austin, Texas, from May 23-25.
Ward will compete in the 10,000-meter and the 5,000-meter runs, where he is ranked fourth and seventh, respectively.
The top 48 athletes in the region in each event qualify for the Preliminary Rounds. In the preliminaries, the top 12 athletes in each event move on to the NCAA Championships, held June 6-9 in Eugene, Ore.
The Cougars have five athletes ranked in the top 12 of their respective events heading into the meet: Ryan Waite in the 800-meter run, Steve Flint in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, Victor Weirichin the pole vault, Tylor Thatcher in the 10,000-meter run and Ward in the 10,000-meter and 5,000-meter runs.
A complete list of the BYU athletes accepted into the meet is below. The full list of participants at the West Preliminary Round can be found at NCAA.com.
Event and student-athlete
100m — Fan Fan Charles
400m — Cade Lindahl
400m Hurdles — Korey Smith
1500m — Marcus Dickson
Long Jump — John Glazier
Shot Put — Dennis Christensen
- Red and Blue Recruits: The championship edition
- Nixons share BYU basketball, Maui...
- For BYU, it's not about opponent — it's...
- 3 seniors grateful for opportunity to play 1...
- Return to Utah allows Southern Virginia...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- BYU basketball: Judkins announces three signees
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 142
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 113
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 25
- Brady Poppinga: From an early age I... 24
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21
- BYU's senior class exemplifies... 18
- BYU rides big 2nd half in rout of... 17