PROVO, Utah — All-American distance runner Jared Ward will lead 25 BYU student-athletes to the 2013 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field West Championships in Austin, Texas, from May 23-25.
Ward will compete in the 10,000-meter and the 5,000-meter runs, where he is ranked fourth and seventh, respectively.
The top 48 athletes in the region in each event qualify for the Preliminary Rounds. In the preliminaries, the top 12 athletes in each event move on to the NCAA Championships, held June 6-9 in Eugene, Ore.
The Cougars have five athletes ranked in the top 12 of their respective events heading into the meet: Ryan Waite in the 800-meter run, Steve Flint in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, Victor Weirichin the pole vault, Tylor Thatcher in the 10,000-meter run and Ward in the 10,000-meter and 5,000-meter runs.
A complete list of the BYU athletes accepted into the meet is below. The full list of participants at the West Preliminary Round can be found at NCAA.com.
Event and student-athlete
100m — Fan Fan Charles
400m — Cade Lindahl
400m Hurdles — Korey Smith
1500m — Marcus Dickson
Long Jump — John Glazier
Shot Put — Dennis Christensen
- Treasured venues: Attending a cross-country...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS coaches;...
- BYU swimming: Taylor leads Cougar hopefuls at...
- BYU men's basketball hires Erick Schork as...
- Morning links: Jakob Poeltl in 'Braveheart'?;...
- Looking back at the top 10 NBA draft picks...
- BYU, Utah State football programs receive...
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 71
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 10
- BYU, Utah State football programs... 6
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with... 6
- Morning links: Jakob Poeltl in... 5
- BYU men's basketball hires Erick Schork... 3
- Treasured venues: Attending a... 1