PULLMAN, Wash. – Justin Keiley shot a second round 1-under 71 to help BYU to a ninth-place standing through 36 holes at the NCAA Golf Championships Pullman Regional on Friday.
Coming off an opening round 282 (-6), the Cougars shot a second round 291 (+3) team score. At 3-under-par through two rounds, the team currently stands in ninth place, one stroke ahead of 10th place Baylor (-2) and 10 strokes behind the fifth place spot needed to advance to the finals.
“Our guys didn’t play bad, but we definitely didn’t shoot the score we needed to,” BYU associate head golf coach Todd Miller said. “We needed to shoot five to 10 under today to put ourselves in a really good position for tomorrow and we kind of stayed right where we were. Zac played pretty solid again today and Keiley played pretty solid.”
No. 1 California retained the top spot after shooting a second round 276 (-12). At 35-under-par on the tournament, California leads No. 13 Southern California (-24) by 11 strokes and No. 24 Saint Mary’s (-19) by 16 strokes.
Rounding out the top five, No. 11 TCU (-15) stands in fourth place and San Diego State (-13) and Pacific (-13) stand tied for fifth. The teams with the five lowest scores from each of the six NCAA regional tournaments will qualify for the finals in Atlanta, Ga.
Keiley recorded the best round of the day for the Cougars, making four birdies to card a 71 (-1). At even par, Keiley stands tied for 41st place.
Zac Blair had another consistent round for BYU, finishing with two pars, two bogeys and 14 pars to shoot even-par. Blair’s second round 72 included a span of eight straight pars on his final eight holes. The senior stands tied for 16th place at 4-under par through two rounds.
Sophomore Devon Purser shot a second round 73 (+1) and stands at 1-over-par through 36 holes. Purser made three straight birdies and 11 pars during round two and sits tied for 43rd place.
“We need to be really aggressive on the greens compared to where we have been,” Miller said. “We’ve been a little tentative, but we still need to play really smart golf.”
The Cougars return to action during Saturday’s third and final round with tee times set to start at 7:30 a.m. PDT. Follow live action of the NCAA regional on golfstat.com.
T16 Zac Blair, 68, 72, -4
T41 Justin Keiley, 73, 71, E
T43 Devon Purser, 72, 73, +1
T49 Jordan Hammer, 71, 75, +2
T61 Joe Parkinson, 71, 79, +6
1 California, -35
2 Southern California, -24
3 Saint Mary's (CA), -19
4 TCU, -15
T5 San Diego State, -13
T5 Pacific, -13
T7 Ball State, -11
T7 Virginia Tech, -11
9 Brigham Young, -3
10 Baylor, -2
11 Memphis, -1
12 North Texas, +1
13 Princeton, +13
14 St. Francis (Pa.), +38
Chris Scheitinger is a student at Brigham Young University studying Public Relations. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Austin Collie signs with CFL's BC Lions,...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 19
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies... 19