High school boys tennis: Timpview leads 4A tournament after day 1
SALT LAKE CITY — With the first two rounds in the books at the 4A boys tennis championships, Timpview High leads the rest of the field.
The Thunderbirds are pacing Class 4A with nine total points from 10 matches after two rounds of tennis at Liberty Park on Friday afternoon.
Bonneville and Woods Cross are just behind the leaders in second place with eight total team points apiece.
The semifinals and finals of the 4A tournament take place Saturday.
“Today we won a lot of huge matches. We’re playing solid tennis. ... It’s early in the tournament, but so far so good,” said Timpview head coach Robert Sperry. “We’ll take it one step at a time because we’re aware of some very solid players we’re going to need to play (Saturday).”
Timpview’s Matthew Pearce has been dominating the tournament’s first singles competition as he has allowed only one point through two rounds.
“I’m just playing solid, and going for the right shots,” said Pearce. “I’ve had a lot of practice, playing at least three hours every single day, just grooving my shots so that I can just be comfortable no matter what situation I get into.”
“Matt’s solid. He’s been coached by his father privately very very well, and he’s a hard worker. So we expect some really good things from Matt throughout this whole tournament,” said Sperry.
One of the more energetic matches of the day was in first doubles in the second round as Timpview's Joshua Harrison and Zack Simpson earned a three-set victory over Highland’s Matt Baker and Matthew Wilson.
Timpview will be banking on Pearce and the T-Birds' entire team to pull out the championship on Saturday afternoon, as it will have players participating in four of the five events.
“I want to win, but I just need to focus on not really the outcome but just point by point,” said Pearce about preparing for Saturday’s semifinal round against Parker Jones of Bonneville.
In other action, Maple Mountain's doubles teams will both face off against Logan.
Maple Mountain head coach Kamryn Rose and assistant coach Steve Blonquist will have a particular emotional interest in their school's first doubles match as both their sons, Kevin Rose and Andrew Blonquist, will be taking on Logan’s Jordan Larsen and Hunter Ballam.
In second doubles, Matt Chandler and Nam Luu of Maple Mountain face Andrew Hopkins and James Larsen of Logan.
When asked what made their game so effective together, Luu responded: “Our serves and volleys and we just don’t get down on ourselves when we make mistakes and we pump each other up."
Rose was very proud of her second doubles teammates.
“They had great teamwork; they both have different strengths; and they just capitalize on that with tough cross-court groundstrokes and the other finishes it off with a volley,” said Rose. “They play clean tennis, and with senior Matt Chandler in his last year, he is giving it all he’s got."
4A state boys tennis tournament
1. Timpview 9; 2 (tie). Bonneville, Woods Cross, 8; 4 (tie). East, Logan, Mountain View, 6; 7 (tie). Highland, Maple Mountain, Skyline, 4.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school boys track: Final state meet results
- High school girls track: Final state meet...
- High school boys track: Davis, Orem, Desert...
- High school girls track: Herriman, Panguitch...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0