Tom Smart, Deseret News
CEDAR CITY — Richard E. Kendell has been selected by the Utah Board of Regents to serve as interim president of Southern Utah University, school officials announced Friday.
Kendell, who previously served as commissioner of higher education and deputy of public education under former Utah Gov. Michael Leavitt, succeeds Michael Benson, who was recently selected as president of Eastern Kentucky University.
“The board and the SUU community are fortunate that former commissioner Kendell is available to serve as interim president,” Board of Regents Chairwoman Bonnie Jean Beesley said in a prepared statement “Dr. Kendell’s experience, integrity, academic expertise and management capabilities will provide a steady hand during the transition on campus that inevitably occurs during a university presidential search.”
In addition to appointing Kendell, the Board of Regents also formed a search committee for the next president of SUU, which will be led by Regent Mark Stoddard. The search committee will hold three public meetings on May 23 at SUU to obtain input from members of the university community and the general public on the presidential search.
— Benjamin Wood
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24