In 1979’s “Star Trek: The Motion Picture,” the Klingons were redesigned to have more alien features, including high, knotted foreheads.
According to the 2006 Guinness Book of World Records, Klingon is the most commonly spoken fictional language.
After becoming hugely popular in syndication, the original series went on to spawn five TV shows and 12 movies, six of which featured the original crew of the Enterprise.
1982’s “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,” which is widely considered the best of the Shatner “Star Trek” films, saw Captain Kirk and his crew doing battle with a genetically engineered villain (Ricardo Montalban).
Montalban’s character, Khan Noonien Singh, first appeared in the 1967 episode “Space Seed.”
“The Wrath of Khan” also features an appearance by Kirk’s former lover, Dr. Carol Marcus, as well as their son David.
Using time travel as a key plot device, J.J. Abrams’ 2009 “Star Trek” reboot diverges prominently from established “Star Trek” canon.
The 2009 film as well as the new “Star Trek Into Darkness” exists in an alternate timeline in which the Romulan Nero destroyed the Vulcan home world, drastically altering the course of history — without negating the events of the original TV series.
Some of the key differences seen in the 2009 “Star Trek” are that Kirk’s father, George Kirk (Chris Hemsworth), is dead, Spock (Zachary Quinto) and Uhura (Zoe Saldana) are in a romantic relationship, Scotty has invented new technology known as “transwarp beaming” (the ability to beam people from planet to planet) and Kirk (Chris Pine) has not yet been made captain of the starship Enterprise, which is still under the command of his mentor Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood).
A native of Utah Valley and a devoted cinephile, Jeff Peterson is currently studying humanities and history at Brigham Young University.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1