Utah added 43,000 more jobs in April 2013 compared to April 2012
J Pat Carter, Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — The state's workforce continues to expand.
The Utah Department of Workforce Services reported Friday that Utah’s nonfarm payroll employment for April 2013 grew by an estimated 3.5 percent, adding 43,100 more jobs to the economy compared to April of 2012.
The state’s current employment level is 1,286,500.
The April seasonally adjusted unemployment rate measured 4.7 percent, having fallen 0.2 percent from March. Approximately 64,400 individuals were unemployed and actively seeking work. The national unemployment rate dropped slightly to 7.5 percent in the same month.
Job growth rates in Utah remain above the state’s long-run average in April, DWS chief economist Carrie Mayne said.
"The labor market continues to grow and show signs of stable expansion as both the number of employed and the overall labor force size increase," she said. "The labor force participation rate, which measures the share of non-institutionalized civilian population who are employed or actively seeking work, registered an increase of roughly three tenths of a percentage point in April."
The number of employed individuals has increased by approximately 11,900, she added.
According to the report, of the 11 industry groups observed, nine posted year-over-year employment gains — with the largest gains in trade, transportation and utilities at 11,000 new jobs. Professional and business services added 8,100 new positions, with leisure and hospitality adding 7,000 jobs. The government sector lost approximately 3,100 jobs in that same time frame.
The April jobs numbers are a positive indicator for the state's economic fortunes, analysts said.
“The unemployment rate last month was a full percentage point lower than it was in April 2012, illustrating Utah’s continued economic growth,” said Juliette Tennert, chief economist at the Governor’s Office of Management and Budget.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with the...
- Community reacts to President Boyd K....
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 63
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 37
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12