High school softball: Kimbri Herring strikes out 15 as Stansbury beats Uintah 9-0
ST. GEORGE — Kimbri Herring struck out 15 Uintah Utes, Karlee Manzione was 3 for 4 with two RBIs and Anjalee Batchelor was 1 for 3 with two RBIs as the Stansbury Stallions stomped the Uintah Utes 9-0 in the second round of the 3A state tournament Thursday.
Stansbury will face Snow Canyon Friday.
"I felt a little crazy at first," said Herring, who pitched a complete-game shutout. "But then I was able to calm down, and Jocelyn (Kaufmann) was calling great pitches for me."
Herring was able to strike out five of the first seven batters she faced, and in that span, Stansbury was able to grab the lead, 2-0, on an RBI single from Batchelor and a wild pitch that brought in Manzione.
Janessa Bassett drove in a run to make it 3-0 when she reached on an error in the bottom of the second, and Beth Chipman brought the speedy center fielder home with a base hit to right field that made it 4-0.
The Stallions scored their last five runs in the bottom of the fifth. Manzione drove in two runs with a double, and Batchelor drove in another run on a fielder's choice. Kaufmann made it 8-0 with an RBI single up the middle, and Kilee Christiansen drove in the final Stansbury run.
As the Stansbury offense was rolling right along, Herring was also dominating the game on the mound. Her rising fastball is a pitch that she naturally throws, and not many people can hit it. Even when hitters do make contact, it seems the only place for the ball to go is straight up.
"I try to get hitters to pop it up because I know that my teammates can get them," said Herring.
Stansbury now turns its attention to the next round and a date with Snow Canyon on Friday morning. The Warriors beat Payson 10-0 in the second round.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16