High school softball: Kimbri Herring strikes out 15 as Stansbury beats Uintah 9-0
ST. GEORGE — Kimbri Herring struck out 15 Uintah Utes, Karlee Manzione was 3 for 4 with two RBIs and Anjalee Batchelor was 1 for 3 with two RBIs as the Stansbury Stallions stomped the Uintah Utes 9-0 in the second round of the 3A state tournament Thursday.
Stansbury will face Snow Canyon Friday.
"I felt a little crazy at first," said Herring, who pitched a complete-game shutout. "But then I was able to calm down, and Jocelyn (Kaufmann) was calling great pitches for me."
Herring was able to strike out five of the first seven batters she faced, and in that span, Stansbury was able to grab the lead, 2-0, on an RBI single from Batchelor and a wild pitch that brought in Manzione.
Janessa Bassett drove in a run to make it 3-0 when she reached on an error in the bottom of the second, and Beth Chipman brought the speedy center fielder home with a base hit to right field that made it 4-0.
The Stallions scored their last five runs in the bottom of the fifth. Manzione drove in two runs with a double, and Batchelor drove in another run on a fielder's choice. Kaufmann made it 8-0 with an RBI single up the middle, and Kilee Christiansen drove in the final Stansbury run.
As the Stansbury offense was rolling right along, Herring was also dominating the game on the mound. Her rising fastball is a pitch that she naturally throws, and not many people can hit it. Even when hitters do make contact, it seems the only place for the ball to go is straight up.
"I try to get hitters to pop it up because I know that my teammates can get them," said Herring.
Stansbury now turns its attention to the next round and a date with Snow Canyon on Friday morning. The Warriors beat Payson 10-0 in the second round.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for BYU; 10...
- A tale of two Hills at quarterback for BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Credit BYU's Rose for...
- Best of the West: Arizona back to top seed...
- Morning links: Calipari's subtle jab at Salt...
- Utah basketball: Coach K looks out for...
- Video: Former Utah Jazz draft pick Luther...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 110
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 83
- Discipline a focus of spring ball for... 60
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 47
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 40
- Morning links: Is BYU now in the... 40