High school softball: Kimbri Herring strikes out 15 as Stansbury beats Uintah 9-0
ST. GEORGE — Kimbri Herring struck out 15 Uintah Utes, Karlee Manzione was 3 for 4 with two RBIs and Anjalee Batchelor was 1 for 3 with two RBIs as the Stansbury Stallions stomped the Uintah Utes 9-0 in the second round of the 3A state tournament Thursday.
Stansbury will face Snow Canyon Friday.
"I felt a little crazy at first," said Herring, who pitched a complete-game shutout. "But then I was able to calm down, and Jocelyn (Kaufmann) was calling great pitches for me."
Herring was able to strike out five of the first seven batters she faced, and in that span, Stansbury was able to grab the lead, 2-0, on an RBI single from Batchelor and a wild pitch that brought in Manzione.
Janessa Bassett drove in a run to make it 3-0 when she reached on an error in the bottom of the second, and Beth Chipman brought the speedy center fielder home with a base hit to right field that made it 4-0.
The Stallions scored their last five runs in the bottom of the fifth. Manzione drove in two runs with a double, and Batchelor drove in another run on a fielder's choice. Kaufmann made it 8-0 with an RBI single up the middle, and Kilee Christiansen drove in the final Stansbury run.
As the Stansbury offense was rolling right along, Herring was also dominating the game on the mound. Her rising fastball is a pitch that she naturally throws, and not many people can hit it. Even when hitters do make contact, it seems the only place for the ball to go is straight up.
"I try to get hitters to pop it up because I know that my teammates can get them," said Herring.
Stansbury now turns its attention to the next round and a date with Snow Canyon on Friday morning. The Warriors beat Payson 10-0 in the second round.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow CJ on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- High school football: Bingham accepts invite...
- High school football: Timpview overcomes...
- No. 15 Arizona crushes No. 17 Utah 42-10 in...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- High school football: Defense, big plays pave...
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of...
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high...
- Utah State keeps Mountain West hopes alive...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 142
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 115
- No. 15 Arizona crushes No. 17 Utah... 73
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utes still have outside chance at... 36
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21