NORTH SALT LAKE — A small fire caused extensive smoke damage to a bakery Thursday night.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen of the converted home, 180 N. U.S. 89, which houses Soutie's Bakery on the ground floor, with an apartment in the basement, South Davis Metro Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett reported.
The basement tenants smelled smoke and exited the building to discover smoke pouring from the bakery windows about 6:40 p.m., Bassett said. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, but not before the heavy smoke took a toll on the building.
"The business will not be able to be occupied," he said. "There was quite a bit of smoke damage."
Water damage may also have impacted the basement, Bassett said.
Employees and customers were in and out of the bakery all day, Bassett said. The cause of the fire, which started after the business had closed, is being investigated. Crews were interviewing people who were in the building Thursday to determine whether they noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Bassett said it had not been determined when the downstairs residents will be allowed back into the apartment.
— McKenzie Romero
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for $120K...
- Snowstorm makes travel tricky along Wasatch...
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah...
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Ex-Attorney General John Swallow deliberately...
- Davis High teacher faces rape charges
- Provo City Council votes to end 'predatory'...
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher watches...
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 80
- Ad campaign targets proposed Utah... 37
- Ex-Attorney General John Swallow... 26
- New allegation: John Swallow asked for... 23
- Netflix documentary 'Mitt' now has a... 21
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 17
- State GOP Central Committee chooses... 16
- Economy strong but face of Utah... 14