NORTH SALT LAKE — A small fire caused extensive smoke damage to a bakery Thursday night.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen of the converted home, 180 N. U.S. 89, which houses Soutie's Bakery on the ground floor, with an apartment in the basement, South Davis Metro Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett reported.
The basement tenants smelled smoke and exited the building to discover smoke pouring from the bakery windows about 6:40 p.m., Bassett said. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, but not before the heavy smoke took a toll on the building.
"The business will not be able to be occupied," he said. "There was quite a bit of smoke damage."
Water damage may also have impacted the basement, Bassett said.
Employees and customers were in and out of the bakery all day, Bassett said. The cause of the fire, which started after the business had closed, is being investigated. Crews were interviewing people who were in the building Thursday to determine whether they noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Bassett said it had not been determined when the downstairs residents will be allowed back into the apartment.
— McKenzie Romero
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 73
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7