NORTH SALT LAKE — A small fire caused extensive smoke damage to a bakery Thursday night.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen of the converted home, 180 N. U.S. 89, which houses Soutie's Bakery on the ground floor, with an apartment in the basement, South Davis Metro Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett reported.
The basement tenants smelled smoke and exited the building to discover smoke pouring from the bakery windows about 6:40 p.m., Bassett said. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, but not before the heavy smoke took a toll on the building.
"The business will not be able to be occupied," he said. "There was quite a bit of smoke damage."
Water damage may also have impacted the basement, Bassett said.
Employees and customers were in and out of the bakery all day, Bassett said. The cause of the fire, which started after the business had closed, is being investigated. Crews were interviewing people who were in the building Thursday to determine whether they noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Bassett said it had not been determined when the downstairs residents will be allowed back into the apartment.
— McKenzie Romero
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- South Jordan mother spends days caring for...
- Repo man charged with manslaughter in...
- Report: Tourism spending in Utah grew to...
- Herbert appoints new 3rd District Court judge
- Polygamous food stamp fraud trial pushed back...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 105
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 13
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9