NORTH SALT LAKE — A small fire caused extensive smoke damage to a bakery Thursday night.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen of the converted home, 180 N. U.S. 89, which houses Soutie's Bakery on the ground floor, with an apartment in the basement, South Davis Metro Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett reported.
The basement tenants smelled smoke and exited the building to discover smoke pouring from the bakery windows about 6:40 p.m., Bassett said. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, but not before the heavy smoke took a toll on the building.
"The business will not be able to be occupied," he said. "There was quite a bit of smoke damage."
Water damage may also have impacted the basement, Bassett said.
Employees and customers were in and out of the bakery all day, Bassett said. The cause of the fire, which started after the business had closed, is being investigated. Crews were interviewing people who were in the building Thursday to determine whether they noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Bassett said it had not been determined when the downstairs residents will be allowed back into the apartment.
— McKenzie Romero
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15