NORTH SALT LAKE — A small fire caused extensive smoke damage to a bakery Thursday night.
The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen of the converted home, 180 N. U.S. 89, which houses Soutie's Bakery on the ground floor, with an apartment in the basement, South Davis Metro Fire Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett reported.
The basement tenants smelled smoke and exited the building to discover smoke pouring from the bakery windows about 6:40 p.m., Bassett said. Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire, but not before the heavy smoke took a toll on the building.
"The business will not be able to be occupied," he said. "There was quite a bit of smoke damage."
Water damage may also have impacted the basement, Bassett said.
Employees and customers were in and out of the bakery all day, Bassett said. The cause of the fire, which started after the business had closed, is being investigated. Crews were interviewing people who were in the building Thursday to determine whether they noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Bassett said it had not been determined when the downstairs residents will be allowed back into the apartment.
— McKenzie Romero
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- Undercover operation seizes $600,000 in...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 161
- Romney decision not to run again... 47
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21