High school rugby: United advances, Herriman loses heartbreaker at national championships
ELKHART, Ind. — Folo Ulukivaiola and Tyler Coffing each scored two tries to lead United Rugby Club to a win in the quarterfinals of the national boys high school rugby championships.
United, which is based in Alpine, defeated Kansas City Junior Blues 56-7 in the club quarterfinals. In addition to Ulukivaiola and Coffing's two scores Zach Weber, Calvin Whiting, Matt Mikulecky, Kingston Matua and Dylan Pendleton found their way on the score sheet. Connor Morris put five conversions through the uprights.
Meanwhile, Herriman High School lost a heartbreaker to multiple national champion Jesuit (Sacramento, Calif.) 18-17 in the single-school quarterfinals.
Down 18-7 at halftime, the Mustangs rallied. Sialao Mobley scored a last-second try in the corner, but missed the difficult conversion kick that would have given Herriman the victory. Francis Bernard scored Herriman's other two tries. After the game, Mustangs head coach Jeff Wilson was very pleased with his team's play.
"Our boys battled very hard and just didn not get enough bounces going our way," Wilson said in an email to the Deseret News. "We were dominant in the lineouts, stealing almost all of their throw ins. ... Jesuit was very complimentary, with both captains stating that we were the best team that they had played in four years of rugby."
United advances to play Colorado Springs (Colo.) in Friday's semifinals at 11:30 a.m. MDT. Herriman, which won its second-straight state title last week, will play Dixon (Calif.) at 11:30 a.m. on a different field in the consolation round.
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real possibility...
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will...
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU fans...
- Nicholls State assistant football coach is...
- BYU's Bronson Kaufusi eager to display new...
- Reports: Former BYU star Brett Keisel agrees...
- BYU camp report: Taysom Hill throws a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU soccer star gone, not forgotten
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 131
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 92
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 70
- ESPN lists BYU and Utah State as... 64
- Dick Harmon: Will Utah State, BYU be... 46
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 44
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 40
- BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage 29