High school rugby: United advances, Herriman loses heartbreaker at national championships
ELKHART, Ind. — Folo Ulukivaiola and Tyler Coffing each scored two tries to lead United Rugby Club to a win in the quarterfinals of the national boys high school rugby championships.
United, which is based in Alpine, defeated Kansas City Junior Blues 56-7 in the club quarterfinals. In addition to Ulukivaiola and Coffing's two scores Zach Weber, Calvin Whiting, Matt Mikulecky, Kingston Matua and Dylan Pendleton found their way on the score sheet. Connor Morris put five conversions through the uprights.
Meanwhile, Herriman High School lost a heartbreaker to multiple national champion Jesuit (Sacramento, Calif.) 18-17 in the single-school quarterfinals.
Down 18-7 at halftime, the Mustangs rallied. Sialao Mobley scored a last-second try in the corner, but missed the difficult conversion kick that would have given Herriman the victory. Francis Bernard scored Herriman's other two tries. After the game, Mustangs head coach Jeff Wilson was very pleased with his team's play.
"Our boys battled very hard and just didn not get enough bounces going our way," Wilson said in an email to the Deseret News. "We were dominant in the lineouts, stealing almost all of their throw ins. ... Jesuit was very complimentary, with both captains stating that we were the best team that they had played in four years of rugby."
United advances to play Colorado Springs (Colo.) in Friday's semifinals at 11:30 a.m. MDT. Herriman, which won its second-straight state title last week, will play Dixon (Calif.) at 11:30 a.m. on a different field in the consolation round.
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 51
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 34
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 31