High school rugby: United advances, Herriman loses heartbreaker at national championships
ELKHART, Ind. — Folo Ulukivaiola and Tyler Coffing each scored two tries to lead United Rugby Club to a win in the quarterfinals of the national boys high school rugby championships.
United, which is based in Alpine, defeated Kansas City Junior Blues 56-7 in the club quarterfinals. In addition to Ulukivaiola and Coffing's two scores Zach Weber, Calvin Whiting, Matt Mikulecky, Kingston Matua and Dylan Pendleton found their way on the score sheet. Connor Morris put five conversions through the uprights.
Meanwhile, Herriman High School lost a heartbreaker to multiple national champion Jesuit (Sacramento, Calif.) 18-17 in the single-school quarterfinals.
Down 18-7 at halftime, the Mustangs rallied. Sialao Mobley scored a last-second try in the corner, but missed the difficult conversion kick that would have given Herriman the victory. Francis Bernard scored Herriman's other two tries. After the game, Mustangs head coach Jeff Wilson was very pleased with his team's play.
"Our boys battled very hard and just didn not get enough bounces going our way," Wilson said in an email to the Deseret News. "We were dominant in the lineouts, stealing almost all of their throw ins. ... Jesuit was very complimentary, with both captains stating that we were the best team that they had played in four years of rugby."
United advances to play Colorado Springs (Colo.) in Friday's semifinals at 11:30 a.m. MDT. Herriman, which won its second-straight state title last week, will play Dixon (Calif.) at 11:30 a.m. on a different field in the consolation round.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Kansas City Royals turn to former BYU pitcher...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 43
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 36