High school rugby: United advances, Herriman loses heartbreaker at national championships
ELKHART, Ind. — Folo Ulukivaiola and Tyler Coffing each scored two tries to lead United Rugby Club to a win in the quarterfinals of the national boys high school rugby championships.
United, which is based in Alpine, defeated Kansas City Junior Blues 56-7 in the club quarterfinals. In addition to Ulukivaiola and Coffing's two scores Zach Weber, Calvin Whiting, Matt Mikulecky, Kingston Matua and Dylan Pendleton found their way on the score sheet. Connor Morris put five conversions through the uprights.
Meanwhile, Herriman High School lost a heartbreaker to multiple national champion Jesuit (Sacramento, Calif.) 18-17 in the single-school quarterfinals.
Down 18-7 at halftime, the Mustangs rallied. Sialao Mobley scored a last-second try in the corner, but missed the difficult conversion kick that would have given Herriman the victory. Francis Bernard scored Herriman's other two tries. After the game, Mustangs head coach Jeff Wilson was very pleased with his team's play.
"Our boys battled very hard and just didn not get enough bounces going our way," Wilson said in an email to the Deseret News. "We were dominant in the lineouts, stealing almost all of their throw ins. ... Jesuit was very complimentary, with both captains stating that we were the best team that they had played in four years of rugby."
United advances to play Colorado Springs (Colo.) in Friday's semifinals at 11:30 a.m. MDT. Herriman, which won its second-straight state title last week, will play Dixon (Calif.) at 11:30 a.m. on a different field in the consolation round.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 63
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 53
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 30
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28