USU track: seventeen Utah State track and field athletes selected for preliminary round of NCAA Championships
LOGAN, Utah — Utah State track and field will be represented by 17 student-athletes at the first round of the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Championships. The meet will be held May 23-25 in Austin, Texas, at the University of Texas.
On the women’s side of the roster, high jumpers make up the majority of first-round competitors. Sophomores Rachel Orr, Jodi Williams and Mariah Thompson along with senior Brianne Campbell will jump for a chance at the NCAA finals. Sophomore Chari Hawkins will also compete in the high jump and has automatically advanced to the heptathlon finals at the University of Oregon on June 5-8.
Junior Keeley Eldridge will compete in the hammer throw, while Western Athletic Conference freshman of the year Tylee Newman will run in the 1500m race.
The Aggie men will be represented by three throwers and seven runners. Sophomore Mike Cardinal will compete in the shot put, freshman Kevin Allen in the discus, while junior Bryce Hall will participate in the discus and hammer throw.
USU will have a 4x100 relay team in the meet, comprised of senior Will Henry, junior Jacob Batista, sophomore Nic Bowens and freshman Cole Lambourne. Additionally, Bowens and Henry will compete in the 100m and 200m sprints, respectively, while Lambourne will run the 400m.
Freshman Briton Page and senior Tyler Killpack will represent the distance runners in the 800m race. Junior Kyle McKenna will round out the Aggie competitors by running the 10k.
The Aggies are coming off their recent performance at the WAC Championships where the men finished second overall while the women finished seventh. Several USU athletes received all-WAC nods as 16 were named to the first-team and another 14 to the second-team.
Field events will kick off the action each day at the first round of the NCAA Championships at 11 a.m. (MT), while the running events will begin later in the afternoon. A complete schedule of events, as well as live results, will be posted on on the USU athletic website once they become available.
The finals for the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships will be held on June 5-8 at Hayward Field on the campus of the University of Oregon in Eugene, Ore.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24