Camron Wright’s “The Rent Collector” took home the 2012 Whitney Award for Best Novel of the Year this past weekend. The story of a Cambodian family living in a dump while looking for a cure for their young son's illness was also named the Best General Novel.
Books from 38 Mormon novelists were nominated across eight categories for the annual awards that recognize authors who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Best Youth Novel of the Year went to Jennifer A. Nielsen for "The False Prince." She also took home the inaugural Best Middle Grade Novel award.
Julianne Donaldson won both the Best Novel by a New Author and Best Romance Novel for her Regency-era love story "Edenbrooke."
In the other categories, the Best Historical Novel went to Carla Kelly’s "My Loving Vigil Keeping," which reflected back on the Scofield mining disaster.
Authors Lael Littke and Carol Lynch Williams received the Lifetime Achievement Award and Outstanding Achievement Award, respectively.
Littke has penned more than 40 books in both the national and LDS markets. Most are for children and young adults.
Williams is the author of more than 20 novels for middle-grade and young adult readers, the mother of five daughters and the founder of the Writers and Illustrators for Young Readers Conference.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is Born'...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a reminder...
- 4 women witnesses to the Book of Mormon...
- 5 tips for digitizing photos
- Al Fox, James the Mormon discuss Thanksgiving...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 44
- Renovated LDS temple represents... 11
- 4 women witnesses to the Book of Mormon... 7
- Book review: 'Finding Peace When a... 7
- U.S. Catholic leaders approve new plan... 6
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is... 3
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 3
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 2