Camron Wright’s “The Rent Collector” took home the 2012 Whitney Award for Best Novel of the Year this past weekend. The story of a Cambodian family living in a dump while looking for a cure for their young son's illness was also named the Best General Novel.
Books from 38 Mormon novelists were nominated across eight categories for the annual awards that recognize authors who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Best Youth Novel of the Year went to Jennifer A. Nielsen for "The False Prince." She also took home the inaugural Best Middle Grade Novel award.
Julianne Donaldson won both the Best Novel by a New Author and Best Romance Novel for her Regency-era love story "Edenbrooke."
In the other categories, the Best Historical Novel went to Carla Kelly’s "My Loving Vigil Keeping," which reflected back on the Scofield mining disaster.
Authors Lael Littke and Carol Lynch Williams received the Lifetime Achievement Award and Outstanding Achievement Award, respectively.
Littke has penned more than 40 books in both the national and LDS markets. Most are for children and young adults.
Williams is the author of more than 20 novels for middle-grade and young adult readers, the mother of five daughters and the founder of the Writers and Illustrators for Young Readers Conference.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: CTRappleye
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to Salt...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how Americans...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Good friends are...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 98
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 59
- 'The Book of Mormon' musical coming to... 41
- When Satan steals your motherhood 40
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20