Camron Wright’s “The Rent Collector” took home the 2012 Whitney Award for Best Novel of the Year this past weekend. The story of a Cambodian family living in a dump while looking for a cure for their young son's illness was also named the Best General Novel.
Books from 38 Mormon novelists were nominated across eight categories for the annual awards that recognize authors who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Best Youth Novel of the Year went to Jennifer A. Nielsen for "The False Prince." She also took home the inaugural Best Middle Grade Novel award.
Julianne Donaldson won both the Best Novel by a New Author and Best Romance Novel for her Regency-era love story "Edenbrooke."
In the other categories, the Best Historical Novel went to Carla Kelly’s "My Loving Vigil Keeping," which reflected back on the Scofield mining disaster.
Authors Lael Littke and Carol Lynch Williams received the Lifetime Achievement Award and Outstanding Achievement Award, respectively.
Littke has penned more than 40 books in both the national and LDS markets. Most are for children and young adults.
Williams is the author of more than 20 novels for middle-grade and young adult readers, the mother of five daughters and the founder of the Writers and Illustrators for Young Readers Conference.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 38
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 34
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 14
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10