High school football: Riley Nelson hired as offensive coordinator at Logan High
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
LOGAN — Riley Nelson is returning to his high school alma mater to command an offense he helped achieve record-breaking heights, but this time with a clipboard and headset.
Nelson was named as the offensive coordinator at Logan High on Wednesday afternoon.
“He’s highly capable and he ran (the offense) as well as anybody for us as a quarterback,” Logan coach Mike Favero said. “I have all the confidence in the world in him and know he’ll do a great job.”
During his two full years at the helm of the Logan offense (2004-05), the Grizzlies rewrote the record book and Nelson became arguably the most decorated high school quarterback in Utah history.
Under Nelson’s direction in 2005, Logan finished with 13-1 record, culminating with a state championship, while averaging 47.5 points per game. That season the Grizzlies produced 6,587 yards of total offense — the most ever in the state by nearly 500 yards.
Nelson was named Deseret News' Mr. Football and was honored as a Parade All-America his senior season (2005) after setting nine state records, three of which still stand. He eventually earned the starting position under center for BYU after transferring from Utah State.
Nelson inherits sole offensive responsibilities, and Favero, who typically calls plays, will focus specifically on defense.
“It’s in the best interest of our program at this time for me to do that,” Favero said.
The Grizzlies' 2013 season begins on Aug. 23 at Northridge.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 93
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26