High school football: Riley Nelson hired as offensive coordinator at Logan High
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
LOGAN — Riley Nelson is returning to his high school alma mater to command an offense he helped achieve record-breaking heights, but this time with a clipboard and headset.
Nelson was named as the offensive coordinator at Logan High on Wednesday afternoon.
“He’s highly capable and he ran (the offense) as well as anybody for us as a quarterback,” Logan coach Mike Favero said. “I have all the confidence in the world in him and know he’ll do a great job.”
During his two full years at the helm of the Logan offense (2004-05), the Grizzlies rewrote the record book and Nelson became arguably the most decorated high school quarterback in Utah history.
Under Nelson’s direction in 2005, Logan finished with 13-1 record, culminating with a state championship, while averaging 47.5 points per game. That season the Grizzlies produced 6,587 yards of total offense — the most ever in the state by nearly 500 yards.
Nelson was named Deseret News' Mr. Football and was honored as a Parade All-America his senior season (2005) after setting nine state records, three of which still stand. He eventually earned the starting position under center for BYU after transferring from Utah State.
Nelson inherits sole offensive responsibilities, and Favero, who typically calls plays, will focus specifically on defense.
“It’s in the best interest of our program at this time for me to do that,” Favero said.
The Grizzlies' 2013 season begins on Aug. 23 at Northridge.
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- Randy Hollis: Here's how 'Big Five' football...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 76
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 34
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 28