High school football: Riley Nelson hired as offensive coordinator at Logan High
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
LOGAN — Riley Nelson is returning to his high school alma mater to command an offense he helped achieve record-breaking heights, but this time with a clipboard and headset.
Nelson was named as the offensive coordinator at Logan High on Wednesday afternoon.
“He’s highly capable and he ran (the offense) as well as anybody for us as a quarterback,” Logan coach Mike Favero said. “I have all the confidence in the world in him and know he’ll do a great job.”
During his two full years at the helm of the Logan offense (2004-05), the Grizzlies rewrote the record book and Nelson became arguably the most decorated high school quarterback in Utah history.
Under Nelson’s direction in 2005, Logan finished with 13-1 record, culminating with a state championship, while averaging 47.5 points per game. That season the Grizzlies produced 6,587 yards of total offense — the most ever in the state by nearly 500 yards.
Nelson was named Deseret News' Mr. Football and was honored as a Parade All-America his senior season (2005) after setting nine state records, three of which still stand. He eventually earned the starting position under center for BYU after transferring from Utah State.
Nelson inherits sole offensive responsibilities, and Favero, who typically calls plays, will focus specifically on defense.
“It’s in the best interest of our program at this time for me to do that,” Favero said.
The Grizzlies' 2013 season begins on Aug. 23 at Northridge.
- Football legend Brett Favre drops in on Alta...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- Final preseason breakdown of BYU, Utah and...
- BYU AD Tom Holmoe says Cougars should hear...
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of BYU,...
- BYU football: Cougars agree to home-and-home...
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- BYU offensive line coming together in time...
- College football: BYU, Utah State... 145
- Travis Wilson edges out Kendal Thompson... 106
- Hawaii AD: 'There is a very real... 95
- Guest commentary: It’s OK if BYU... 75
- BYU football: Cougars agree to... 60
- Dick Harmon: Offensive line play will... 46
- Peavler: Final preseason breakdown of... 29
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah players take blame... 24