OREM — Two adult men who police say offered a 14-year-old girl $30 for sex have been arrested and booked into jail.
Alexander Navidad-Hernandez, 27, and Javier Santos-Jacobo, 36, both from Orem, were arrested Wednesday and booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of enticing a minor and sexual solicitation.
The teen and her 16-year-old sister were walking in the area of 880 N. State when a car pulled up to them, said Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez. The driver asked the girls, "Do you need some money" and handed them $5 along with a piece of paper that had a phone number on it, he said. He then told them, "If you want more money, call me," Martinez said.
The girls went home and told their father what had happened. They then had the 16-year-old call the man. He told her he would pay her $30 for sex and asked if he could bring a second man along, Martinez said.
The father called Orem police and detectives set up a sting with the girls' help.
The 16-year-old called the men back while posing as her younger sister. The phone call was recorded by officers, according to a police affidavit. The man again offered her money for sex and said his friend would pay her for the same thing, the affidavit states.
The girls told the men to meet them at Orem Junior High School. When the men arrived, they called the girl to ask where she was, Martinez said. As the men were talking on the phone with the girl, police moved in and arrested them.
One man told police he thought he was meeting up with a prostitute who was at least 18.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 61
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16