Boston Marathon bomber left note claiming attacks were payback
CNN's Susan Candiotti reports that Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wrote a note on the boat that he was found in claiming the attacks were retaliation for U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq that resulted in the deaths of Muslims.
The scribbled message said an attack on one Muslim was an attack on all, and he wouldn't miss his deceased brother Tamerlan because he would soon be joining him.
The latest developments in this case come from a law enforcement official who spoke with CNN on Thursday.
The source said the information in the note is consistent with what Tsarnaev told investigators from his Boston hospital room.
The April 15 attack near the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed three and injured 275. According to authorities, the brothers assembled explosive devices from pressure cookers and other devices, and are believed to have acted alone.
Three days after the attacks, authorities released photos of the Tsarnaev brothers to have the public help in locating them. Police believe the two killed MIT police officer Sean Collier and hijacked a car before engaging in a firefight with police in nearby Watertown.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev died that night and Dzhokhar was found 24 hours later in a boat after the owner called.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction.
Editor's Note: The original version of this story posted on May 16, 2013, failed to properly attribute all source materials, which violates our editorial policies. The story was revised on Oct. 8, 2013 and link to original source material were added.
firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @smithmichael8
Read more about Suspect: Boston bombing was payback for hits on Muslims on CNN.
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Test anxiety: How cold feet are ruining your...
- Hometown pastor says community stands by...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Drownings along Rio Grande spike after...
- O'Malley: Presidency 'not some crown'...
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say it's...
- Student loan recipients on 'strike'... 83
- Rep. Trey Gowdy: Hillary Clinton wiped... 49
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Indiana lawmakers try to quiet... 37
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 34
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say... 26
- Delete, erase, shred: The enemies of... 15
- O'Malley: Presidency 'not some crown'... 13