Online con-artists are getting smarter, and their email identity theft scams are becoming more and more advanced.
To combat the rise in online insecurity, the Consumer Federation of America has released a new set of tips to help consumers avoid being tricked by criminals pretending to be from well-known companies in order to steal personal information.
Such internet scams are commonly known as "phishing."
On their website, the CFA released a PDF with 10 basic steps to remain safe from email and phone scams, ranging from preemptive measures to proper procedures once a con has been recognized.
“If someone suddenly appeared at your door asking for your personal information, you’d be suspicious” the nonprofit group suggests on their website. “It should be no different when someone approaches you through your computer or by phone asking for that information.
In their online PDF, Slam the Door on Phishing Scams, the CFA urges all consumers to be protective of their identities, remaining skeptical when companies and organizations ask for personal information over the Internet or phone.
“If it’s a company that you have an account with wouldn’t they already have that information? And if it’s not, what business is it of theirs?”
To accompany their recommendations, the CFA also released a short video summarizing the key elements of the PDF.
When dealing with online contacts, the CFA also recommends consumers do not fall victim to scare tactics, such as suggestions to act quickly because of limited stock.
If you have recently been a victim of phishing, be sure to contact your financial institution immediately and inform them of the situation.
- The 20 most giving cities in America, and...
- 14 frivolous lawsuits against Disney, James...
- How daydreaming helped one woman go from...
- Studio C teams up with popular indie band to...
- What homeowners would do differently if they...
- High-mileage cars: Utah family makes the most...
- When you forget to pay the car insurance bill
- Halloween 2014: How much America will spend...
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- US jobless aid applications fall to... 5
- How students are engaging textbook... 4
- Poor and middle-class give most to... 3
- Millennials may do career and home life... 3
- What homeowners would do differently if... 2
- Does the wage gap hurt women's... 2
- HBO unleashes streaming from cable... 1