Ex-emergency room tech admits sexually assaulting patient
LOGAN — A former emergency room technician has admitted sexually assaulting a man who was unconscious at a hospital.
Hal Lavaun Weston, 47, pleaded guilty to forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, in 1st District Court Tuesday. Weston was charged in connection with an incident at Logan Regional Hospital on Jan. 21, 2012.
According to a civil lawsuit filed in federal court in February, Brett Jensen was arrested Jan. 20, 2012, and later convicted of intoxication. He was handcuffed and placed in a police patrol car following his arrest. On the way to jail, he passed out, so the officer took him to Logan Regional Hospital.
While he was left alone unconscious and handcuffed in a hospital room, Weston, an emergency room technician, went into the room and performed oral sex on Jensen, according to the lawsuit. Jensen's attorney, Brad Bearnson, previously said his client wasn't aware of the assault until he was informed of it the morning after it happened. Bearnson said the incident was "mortifying" for his client.
Jensen also filed a personal injury suit in 1st District Court against Weston, the hospital, Intermountain Healthcare, a doctor, Logan City, the Logan Police Department and some of its officers. Police and the city were dismissed from the state lawsuit, but were also named in the federal lawsuit.
Jensen claims Logan police officer James Gale turned a blind eye to what was happening and didn't stop the sexual assault when he had the chance. Both lawsuits are still pending.
A sentencing hearing has been set for Weston on July 9.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14