Ex-emergency room tech admits sexually assaulting patient
LOGAN — A former emergency room technician has admitted sexually assaulting a man who was unconscious at a hospital.
Hal Lavaun Weston, 47, pleaded guilty to forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, in 1st District Court Tuesday. Weston was charged in connection with an incident at Logan Regional Hospital on Jan. 21, 2012.
According to a civil lawsuit filed in federal court in February, Brett Jensen was arrested Jan. 20, 2012, and later convicted of intoxication. He was handcuffed and placed in a police patrol car following his arrest. On the way to jail, he passed out, so the officer took him to Logan Regional Hospital.
While he was left alone unconscious and handcuffed in a hospital room, Weston, an emergency room technician, went into the room and performed oral sex on Jensen, according to the lawsuit. Jensen's attorney, Brad Bearnson, previously said his client wasn't aware of the assault until he was informed of it the morning after it happened. Bearnson said the incident was "mortifying" for his client.
Jensen also filed a personal injury suit in 1st District Court against Weston, the hospital, Intermountain Healthcare, a doctor, Logan City, the Logan Police Department and some of its officers. Police and the city were dismissed from the state lawsuit, but were also named in the federal lawsuit.
Jensen claims Logan police officer James Gale turned a blind eye to what was happening and didn't stop the sexual assault when he had the chance. Both lawsuits are still pending.
A sentencing hearing has been set for Weston on July 9.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 50
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 45
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 17
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7