Ex-emergency room tech admits sexually assaulting patient
LOGAN — A former emergency room technician has admitted sexually assaulting a man who was unconscious at a hospital.
Hal Lavaun Weston, 47, pleaded guilty to forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, in 1st District Court Tuesday. Weston was charged in connection with an incident at Logan Regional Hospital on Jan. 21, 2012.
According to a civil lawsuit filed in federal court in February, Brett Jensen was arrested Jan. 20, 2012, and later convicted of intoxication. He was handcuffed and placed in a police patrol car following his arrest. On the way to jail, he passed out, so the officer took him to Logan Regional Hospital.
While he was left alone unconscious and handcuffed in a hospital room, Weston, an emergency room technician, went into the room and performed oral sex on Jensen, according to the lawsuit. Jensen's attorney, Brad Bearnson, previously said his client wasn't aware of the assault until he was informed of it the morning after it happened. Bearnson said the incident was "mortifying" for his client.
Jensen also filed a personal injury suit in 1st District Court against Weston, the hospital, Intermountain Healthcare, a doctor, Logan City, the Logan Police Department and some of its officers. Police and the city were dismissed from the state lawsuit, but were also named in the federal lawsuit.
Jensen claims Logan police officer James Gale turned a blind eye to what was happening and didn't stop the sexual assault when he had the chance. Both lawsuits are still pending.
A sentencing hearing has been set for Weston on July 9.
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 32
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 8
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7