A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Southwest, Delta tangle over whether to cut...
- At the Vatican, Biden calls for global...
- Teacher to run 5K race 6 months after double...
- Are you ready to replace your moisturizer...
- FDA reconsiders training requirements for...
- Congress heads out with no resolution on...
- Terminating parental rights: State policies...
- Monkey bars alert: Playground concussions are...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 90
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Do we really need milk? 18
- The effects of spanking children may... 14
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 11
- Millennials reject capitalism and... 9
- Utah can't arrest its way out of... 8
- At the Vatican, Biden calls for global... 4