A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- One thing that changed my view of marriage...
- The Latest on Nepal Quake: Stronger quake may...
- Renovation Solutions: 5 signs it is time to...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- Power of Moms: The 21-day motherhood challenge
- Blu-ray upgrade of ‘Escape From New...
- The Clean Cut: 'Studio C' releases Marvel...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 50
- One thing that changed my view of... 39
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 35
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: A different view... 7
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- The Clean Cut: Lucasfilm responds to... 4
- Does an American child really go... 3
- The one joke we make about love may... 3