A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- Motherhood Matters: How to control a teenager
- Managing your loved one's digital estate...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans...
- Many adults delay parenthood for these two...
- Remodeling? Experts say some projects add to...
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 14
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- It's safe to vaccinate kids —... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Sarah Palin launches online... 6
- Report links smoking bans, cigarettes... 6