A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- How your premarital experiences can affect...
- A solution to paying that medical bill you...
- Insights from the Behavioral Science Guy: The...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- The Clean Cut: Little League coach delivers...
- Utah's One Voice Children's Choir to perform...
- How to talk to your kids about porn
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 49
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 27
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 15
- How your premarital experiences can... 11
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 8
- Want to increase attraction in your... 7
- One way dads have it easier at the office 7
- Kids' brains reorganize when learning... 5