A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of...
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice Bucket...
- The Clean Cut: Mothers brought to tears in...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- Sherry Young: The man who delivers flowers,...
- Charlie and the Doll Factory? Penguin's new...
- How your premarital experiences can affect...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 55
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 31
- Provo company creates program that... 16
- How your premarital experiences can... 12
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice... 11
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with... 9
- One way dads have it easier at the office 8