A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Can you name the celebrity voices behind...
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire, Mormon...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a theological...
- Have an irritable toddler? Here's one simple...
- Video: Applicants interview for the 'toughest...
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should I...
- Singling out 'fat' children isn't helping...
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire,... 11
- Abortion in cases of rape: New rifts in... 10
- Kathleen Sebelius: Health care launch... 10
- Judge set to issue key Ohio gay... 10
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 8