A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Dear daughter, when did I last wash your hair?
- UTubers: Jenny Oaks Baker and family perform...
- The Clean Cut: New Zealand students perform...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Salt Lake protesters take their message... 18
- Covered California: Cost of health care... 16
- Family man: Former Ute, NFL standout... 11
- Herbert says new Medicaid expansion... 11
- We're doing youth soccer wrong:... 9
- Michelle Obama opens Special Olympics... 8
- Planned Parenthood official says no... 7