A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Jewish woman launches modest online...
- Hope in a crisis: School, community leaders...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- ‘Big Hero 6,’ ‘Feast’...
- Becky Lockhart remembered on Rare Disease Day...
- The most overlooked characteristic of the...
- Doug's Take: 'McFarland, USA' is a movie...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 52
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 34
- Erin Stewart: Why I vaccinate my... 21
- Some GOP House members disagree with... 16
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 15
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 14
- Leonard Nimoy, famous as Mr. Spock on... 13
- Jewish woman launches modest online... 11