A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- Here's a look at the top 25 best states for...
- The Clean Cut: 3-year-old boy performs 'Do...
- Roy dancer makes 'So You Think You Can Dance'...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- The Clean Cut: Child plays peekaboo with...
- E-cigs surpass cigarettes in popularity among...
- Nonprofit intervention program in Arizona...
- Family of teenage girl with burns on 65...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 18
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 8
- Cookbook review: 'The Hungry... 4
- The Clean Cut: Children taste dark... 3
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes,... 3
- E-cigs surpass cigarettes in popularity... 3