A new report by media watchdog group Media Matters concludes there is an inordinate percentage of white males among the guests who appear on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Media Matters — an organization founded in 2004 with money from Democratic Party donors — catalogued the gender and ethnicity of 1,677 guests who appeared on cable news networks during evening hours in April 2013.
“According to the most recent U.S. Census data, white men make up only 31 percent of the U.S. population,” Media Matters reported. “On evening cable news, they represented a much larger percentage of guests — 62 percent of guests on CNN, 60 percent on Fox, and 54 percent on MSNBC.”
The Media Matters data points included:
Percentage of guests who were men
- CNN: 76 percent
- Fox News: 71 percent
- MSNBC: 67 percent
- CNN: 81 percent
- Fox News: 83 percent
- MSNBC: 73 percent
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-236-6051.
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and Idina...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- 15 things you should give up to be a happier...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- The Clean Cut: Magic of Disney's 'Cinderella'...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says family...
- 'Duck Dynasty' family proud of daughter's...
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 82
- Boston man seeks to promote chivalry as... 10
- The Clean Cut: Michael Bublé and... 9
- 15 organic fruits and veggies that... 7
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: To all the... 6
- Pope reinforces traditional family values 5
- Make way for a new family act in Vegas:... 5
- Jennifer Lawrence: Privacy loss that... 4