Tom Smart, Deseret News
Speaking to reporters Tuesday about his interaction with the IRS throughout the past year, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said, “They purposefully misled me. I am very upset about it. This should have never happened.”
Politico, the outlet that reported Hatch’s quotation, offered this context: Hatch and “10 other GOP lawmakers wrote to then-IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman on June 18, 2012, demanding answers on why the agency requested donor information from groups seeking nonprofit status.
“By the time this letter was sent, Shulman and (Steven) Miller, who was the deputy IRS commissioner at the time, had been aware of the extent of the targeting program for about a month. Still, in a Sept. 11, 2012, response to the letter, Miller offered a broad interpretation of the law allowing the request for donor information and said nothing about the targeting practice.”
Also on Tuesday, Reuters attributed a similar quotation to Utah's senior senator: “(Hatch) said on Tuesday it was time for the acting head of the Internal Revenue Service, Steven Miller, to leave his post amid a growing controversy over IRS scrutiny of conservative groups. ‘He basically misled me. I really think it is time for him to leave,’ Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah told reporters.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Pure joy: Special needs students vie for the...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail without a...
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- National conservative group backs... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12