“She said that only God knows what will happen and to have faith,” Debbie said. “At that moment my mom and I both cried. We told Steve and, needless to say, I stopped my marching around the room, and I lay down in bed.”
Miraculously, Debbie’s uterus healed and resealed itself. Fluid mysteriously returned to the womb. Doctors could not explain it. Almost four months later, on Jan. 4, 1985, Debbie delivered a seven-pound, eight-ounce baby boy by cesarean section.
Despite what she had already been through, Debbie had originally requested a natural delivery but changed her mind on the advice of her mother.
The delivery was uneventful and a healthy baby boy was born. The little guy had a severe case of jaundice, which required that he lie under a bright light for four days, but Steve finally had a son he could name Eric. The newborn was given the full name of Eric Steven Weddle. Little did they know that surviving the pregnancy to reach Earth was the first of many obstacles he would overcome in his life. Eric proved the doctors wrong then, and years later he would prove many football experts wrong. The love and support shown by his family was also a prelude of things to come.
Looking back, Steve and Debbie have no doubt that their son’s survival and birth were a miracle.
“He wasn’t supposed to be here. No one knows how everything sealed back up. No one knows how it filled back up with fluid,” Debbie said. “In that process you are praying to God every minute of every day, saying, ‘I will do anything.’ I am not one who asks for favors like that, but I prayed all the time: ‘I will do whatever you ask.’ So when he was born, we were just so excited. You look at him now and say, ‘Here is a kid who wasn’t supposed to be here.’”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 171
- Why I don’t call myself a... 95
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 64
- General Women's Session focuses on... 29
- State bills to protect religious... 21
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 14
- Indiana Gov. Mike Pence: ‘Not... 12