"21 PRINCIPLES: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit," by Richard G. Scott, Deseret Book, $16.99, 105 pages (nf)
Like the steel anchors a mountaineer uses to conquer otherwise impossible cliffs, principles are anchors of safety. They will help a person have confidence in new and unfamiliar circumstances. They will provide protection in life's storms or adversity.
Those are among the words written by Elder Richard G. Scott, a member of Quorum of the Twelve of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in his new book, "21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live by the Spirit."
"As you seek spiritual knowledge, search for principles," Elder Scott wrote in the introduction. "Principles are concentrated truth, packaged for application to a wide variety of circumstances."
In the book, Elder Scott shares 21 principles, based on his life experiences, that will help readers understand more fully how to be guided by the Spirit.
"As you absolutely follow correct principles, you will forge strength of character available to you in times of need. Your consistent adherence to principle overcomes the alluring yet false lifestyles that surround you," Elder Scott wrote in the introduction. "Your faithful compliance to correct principles may generate criticism and ridicule from others, yet the results are so eternally worthwhile that they warrant your every sacrifice."
In the 105-page book, Elder Scott provides a list of the 21 principles, then gives an explanation of each principle in a brief chapter.
"It is worth great effort to organize the truth we gather to simple statements of truth," Elder Scott wrote. " I have tried to do that with gaining spiritual knowledge. The result is now shared in hope that it will be a beginning place for your study."
Elder Scott concludes the book by sharing his testimony.
"I bear witness that Jesus Christ knows you personally," Elder Scott wrote. "He will provide answers to every difficult problem in your life as you trust Him and do all you can to understand and apply His doctrine and strive to live by the Spirit."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood' by...
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 18