Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan meets with Milwaukee about coaching job, report says
Another coaching vacancy. Another Jerry Sloan mention.
This one, however, seems to have legs under it.
The former Utah Jazz coach has met with the Milwaukee Bucks and "is being seriously considered" for that franchise's head coaching vacancy, according to USA Today.
Since his shocking midseason resignation from the Jazz in February 2011, Sloan's name has popped up in reports and rumors with multiple coaching gigs — including Portland, Los Angeles and Brooklyn, to name a few.
Milwaukee is looking for a replacement for Scott Skiles, who like Sloan, left in the middle of the season. Assistant Jim Boylan took over on an interim basis, but he didn't get permanently hired after the Bucks' late-season slide.
USA Today reported that Sloan "has been looking for a landing spot for quite some time, but he could be a tailor-made fit for a Bucks situation that has much in common with the Utah job he held for 23 years."
The report also claimed that a reunion between Sloan and Deron Williams in Brooklyn "is not on the horizon."
Lakers assistant Steve Clifford, former Portland coach Nate McMillan and Houston assistants Kelvin Sampson and J.B. Bickerstaff have also interviewed for the Bucks' job, according to reports.
Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's executive vice president of basketball operations, was asked about Sloan being interviewed while doing his weekly radio segment on team-owned 1280 The Zone on Monday night.
"Look, if he met with Milwaukee, he was serious about meeting with them because I don't think he'd waste anybody's time in doing that," O'Connor, who worked with Sloan from 1999 through 2011, told The Big Show. "If Milwaukee's smart, they'd hire him if he wanted to take the job."
O'Connor added that it's up to Sloan, of course. He also said they don't discuss things like this in casual conversations.
"I can't answer that for Coach," he said. "I'd let him answer that."
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 21