Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan meets with Milwaukee about coaching job, report says
Another coaching vacancy. Another Jerry Sloan mention.
This one, however, seems to have legs under it.
The former Utah Jazz coach has met with the Milwaukee Bucks and "is being seriously considered" for that franchise's head coaching vacancy, according to USA Today.
Since his shocking midseason resignation from the Jazz in February 2011, Sloan's name has popped up in reports and rumors with multiple coaching gigs — including Portland, Los Angeles and Brooklyn, to name a few.
Milwaukee is looking for a replacement for Scott Skiles, who like Sloan, left in the middle of the season. Assistant Jim Boylan took over on an interim basis, but he didn't get permanently hired after the Bucks' late-season slide.
USA Today reported that Sloan "has been looking for a landing spot for quite some time, but he could be a tailor-made fit for a Bucks situation that has much in common with the Utah job he held for 23 years."
The report also claimed that a reunion between Sloan and Deron Williams in Brooklyn "is not on the horizon."
Lakers assistant Steve Clifford, former Portland coach Nate McMillan and Houston assistants Kelvin Sampson and J.B. Bickerstaff have also interviewed for the Bucks' job, according to reports.
Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's executive vice president of basketball operations, was asked about Sloan being interviewed while doing his weekly radio segment on team-owned 1280 The Zone on Monday night.
"Look, if he met with Milwaukee, he was serious about meeting with them because I don't think he'd waste anybody's time in doing that," O'Connor, who worked with Sloan from 1999 through 2011, told The Big Show. "If Milwaukee's smart, they'd hire him if he wanted to take the job."
O'Connor added that it's up to Sloan, of course. He also said they don't discuss things like this in casual conversations.
"I can't answer that for Coach," he said. "I'd let him answer that."
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 65
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 48
- Annual instate college basketball... 37