Scott Green, Scott Green/NBC
On Monday and Tuesday the television industry is unveiling its “upfronts” — the annual presentations when networks roll out their upcoming primetime schedules in order to ostensibly entice prospective advertisers.
The New York Times’ coverage of the TV upfronts informs without feeling overbearing. In Monday’s newspaper, the Times printed an article that advanced the upfronts by analyzing what’s already working for each of the four major networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC). In those “What’s Working” capsule summaries, the Times mentioned 10 scripted shows by name; those primetime offerings are listed below, along with Common Sense Media’s one-sentence description and age recommendation for each program.
"Modern Family": “Brilliant, poignant comedy series has mature content, too.” Age 13.
"Scandal": “Political thriller mixes sex with violence and murky ethics.” Age 14.
"Nashville": “Catty music biz drama makes for an engrossing soap.” Age 14.
"Elementary": “Smart Sherlock drama is a great choice for mature teens.” Age 14.
"Revolution": “Post-apocalyptic adventure balances violence, family themes.” Age 13.
"Grimm": “Fairy tale-inspired show has more blood than happy endings.” Age 14.
"Chicago Fire": “Fire drama's blazes mix with solid story, mature content.” Age 14.
"Parenthood": “Quality drama charts the pros, cons of family togetherness.” Age 14.
"The Following": “Gory crime drama swimming in blood, dead bodies, suspense.” Age 16.
"New Girl": “Heartwarming roommate comedy with innuendo, drinking.” Age 13.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Kids live to tell the...
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can you...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Controversy and chaos erupt during...
- Alpine Days set for Aug. 5-13
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- Motherhood Matters: Lessons from PB&J
- Amy Iverson: How social media can hurt, help...
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful... 3
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can... 2
- Controversy and chaos erupt during... 2
- Motherhood Matters: Lessons from PB&J 1
- Why ‘Rogue One’ will be... 1
- UTubers: 2 Utah couples create... 1