‘Great Gatsby’ makes history as one of best runner-ups ever
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures, AP
The movie website Box Office Mojo reported that the “Iron Man 3” haul of more than $72 million “is the fourth-highest second weekend ever behind ‘The Avengers,’ ‘Avatar’ and ‘The Dark Knight.’ ‘The Great Gatsby’ $50.1 million debut ranks as the third-highest second-place debut ever behind ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ ($68.7 million, behind ‘Shrek 2’) and ‘Sherlock Holmes’ ($62.3 million, behind ‘Avatar’). It's easily the best start ever in director Baz Luhrmann's career (and) also ranks as the second-highest ever for star Leonardo DiCaprio behind 2010's ‘Inception.’”
The Wall Street Journal’s Ben Fritz wrote, “(‘Gatsby’) proved effective counterprogramming to ‘Iron Man 3’ by drawing an audience that was 59 percent female, according to exit polls. The majority of the superhero movie's audience has been men.”
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Pioneer panorama arrives in the Salt Lake Valley
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- 'Arrow' makes Green Arrow less goofy
- Sherry Young: Moving — a life changing...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 9
- Splashing through the city: Giant slip... 3
- Man without arms and legs has a message... 3
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough... 2
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: You're not in... 2
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout... 2
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for... 2
- Here's how violent, graphic and scary... 1